Yet another retirement hint from Landon Donovan

Dec 1, 2012, 8:29 PM EDT

2012 MLS Cup - Houston Dynamo v Los Angeles Galaxy Getty Images

CARSON, Calif. – Did Landon Donovan just creep a little closer to retirement at age 30, or perhaps to some sort of pro soccer sabbatical?

The Galaxy attacker handed out yet another hint that something like that might be coming. And soon. Following the team’s 3-1 win Saturday for L.A.’s second consecutive MLS Cup championship, the veteran Galaxy man said he hasn’t made any hard decisions about his future.

But he did talk about a moment after the match (after the dancing, but before all the locker room champagne pouring). Donovan said his sister has just had a baby, and they were both able to come down onto the Home Depot Center field.

I have to listen to my heart, and right now my gut says to get away for a while. I had a really nice moment where my sister … got to come down on the field and [the baby] was sleeping on her, and it sort of puts it all in perspective and makes me realize I want to be closer to my family for a while and then figure out the soccer later.”

1. orbmech - Dec 1, 2012 at 11:29 PM

You know, at this point I really don’t care if the Teenage Angst Kid retires or not.

• djmatticus - Dec 2, 2012 at 1:41 AM

“Teenage Angst Kid,” Really? Really?! You try being the face of US Soccer for as long as he has… All that pressure, expectations, etc… would take their toll on anyone. I think if he wants to walk away he should do that, but if he ever decides to come back I’ll be happy to see him out on the field again.

• wfjackson3 - Dec 2, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Uh oh, the general population has started reading this blog. There goes the neighborhood.

2. footballer4ever - Dec 2, 2012 at 9:54 AM

@djmatticus

Well said, my friend.

i prefer Donovan to take time off as much as needed to clear up his mind and heart. In the end, football has been part of him that eventually he will come back. It won’t be the same if he continues playing half-hearted.

3. iamjimmyjack - Dec 2, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Thanks Donovan for the memories. U are a legend in la. U deserve to take all the time u want. Just make sure u come back at some point…to the galaxy!

4. tylerbetts - Dec 2, 2012 at 11:32 AM

I’m really glad I don’t have someone sticking a microphone in my face at the end of a really long work day, or after I finish up the final week of busy season at work. I’d probably say some things that would make my boss question my commitment to the company.

• George H - Dec 2, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Agreed, great context to view this in.

Breaking down Man City vs. Chelsea