Dec 3, 2012, 9:31 AM EST
That Real Salt Lake would shuffle its roster significantly certainly comes as no surprise. The collective of personnel had lost its edge, with a little too much of the “same old” and insufficient gradual infusion of new talent.
When Jason Kreis’ side fell out of the playoffs in the conference semifinals, he and GM Garth Lagerwey acknowledged time for change was upon them.
Still, the swiftness and ferocity of the big moves around Rio Tinto Stadium came as a cold water splash. The offseason is officially “on” in Major League Soccer, gaining speed with little warm-up on Monday as the league lifted its roster freeze following Saturday’s MLS Cup.
Reports have Real Salt Lake trading big defender Jamison Olave and striker Fabian Espindola to the New York Red Bulls.
Further, Canadian international midfielder Will Johnson will go to the Portland Timbers. In both cases, RSL will receive allocation money, about $500,000 combined from both moves, according to the Salt Lake Tribune. The club also sheds about $1 million in salary.
So the team has jettisoned a significant piece of the team’s defense, its midfield and its forward line. All three were valued starters. Olave, 31, is the biggest surprise. The 2010 MLS Defender of the Year was a Best XI selection in 2010 and 2011.
But his ability to stay on the field has been increasingly nicked. Olave started 27 times in 2010, but injuries limited the big Colombian to 27 matches in 2011 and just 21 this year.
- Looking back on 2013: Talking through Real Salt Lake’s path to MLS Cup 1
- WATCH: PST Extra – Will Everton upset Arsenal? Can Man United bounce back vs. Newcastle? 0
- Prindi’s Premier League Picks: Sunderland and Everton to upset odds 4
- Kyle Martino chats Andre Villas-Boas drama and Premier League parity 0
- Mike Magee Wins 2013 MLS Most Valuable Player Award 7
- USA fear toughest ever World Cup draw but relish chance to make history 7
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: Everything you need to know 4
- Premier League Playback: Moyes needs more, Suarez is Superman, Altidore (finally) off the mark 9
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (22)
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- World Cup Draw: United States in Pot Three (11)