Dec 3, 2012, 9:31 AM EDT
That Real Salt Lake would shuffle its roster significantly certainly comes as no surprise. The collective of personnel had lost its edge, with a little too much of the “same old” and insufficient gradual infusion of new talent.
When Jason Kreis’ side fell out of the playoffs in the conference semifinals, he and GM Garth Lagerwey acknowledged time for change was upon them.
Still, the swiftness and ferocity of the big moves around Rio Tinto Stadium came as a cold water splash. The offseason is officially “on” in Major League Soccer, gaining speed with little warm-up on Monday as the league lifted its roster freeze following Saturday’s MLS Cup.
Reports have Real Salt Lake trading big defender Jamison Olave and striker Fabian Espindola to the New York Red Bulls.
Further, Canadian international midfielder Will Johnson will go to the Portland Timbers. In both cases, RSL will receive allocation money, about $500,000 combined from both moves, according to the Salt Lake Tribune. The club also sheds about $1 million in salary.
So the team has jettisoned a significant piece of the team’s defense, its midfield and its forward line. All three were valued starters. Olave, 31, is the biggest surprise. The 2010 MLS Defender of the Year was a Best XI selection in 2010 and 2011.
But his ability to stay on the field has been increasingly nicked. Olave started 27 times in 2010, but injuries limited the big Colombian to 27 matches in 2011 and just 21 this year.
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers 6
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 8
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? 24
- Champions League Final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 0
- NWSL Game of the Week: Sky Blue FC vs. FC Kansas City 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (24)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final