Dec 4, 2012, 5:08 PM EDT
In Major League Soccer, pricey Designated Players may giveth – but they can damn sure taketh away.
Just ask D.C. United, who remind us today how these big decisions to pay major money and devote a reasonable portion of the tight salary cap need to be right. Otherwise, the price isn’t just in one year’s worth of flagging production.
The beatings go one from there.
The Washington Post’s Soccer Insider (some know him as Steven Goff) says D.C. United, a club now undergoing major front office renovation, no longer has DP striker Hamdi Salihi in its plans. That is hardly a shocker considering D.C. United got a not-so-whopping six goals and no assists for its big investment in the Albanian striker.
In the playoffs, with the season on the line in D.C. United’s return leg against Houston, with “goals” listed as a priority, the team’s DP striker didn’t start.
Problem is, with a year still guaranteed on Salihi’s deal, cutting ties at this point leaves United in a big ol’ hole one way or another. Goff explains the collection of lesser attractive options in the link.
Portland has the same issue with Kris Boyd, the unproductive Scottish striker who has a guaranteed year remaining on his contract at Portland.
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 7
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? 18
- Champions League Final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 0
- NWSL Game of the Week: Sky Blue FC vs. FC Kansas City 0
- Yahoo! reports: Mourinho to sign 4-year deal with Chelsea, will be unveiled June 2 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (19)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights