Dec 4, 2012, 10:07 AM EDT
We could assemble a fairly strong Starting 11, plus backups for form a full 18-man roster, from the list of eligible MLS re-entry draft players released yesterday.
On a busy, busy Monday (the first day after lifting of the roster freeze) Major League Soccer announced its list of players eligible for participation in the 2012 MLS Re-Entry Process.
These are players (63 of them) whose contracts are up or whose options were not picked up. For official purposes, clubs may still sign their Re-Entry Draft eligibles; they have until 5 pm ET Thursday to do so.
The list doesn’t necessarily reflect “bad” players; rather, these are players whose contract value, in the clubs’ estimations, no longer fit within broader plans. That’s why some pretty good players find themselves on this list today, players like Dallas goalkeeper Kevin Hartman, Chivas USA center back Danny Califf or Chicago left back Gonzalo Segares.
Unofficially, let’s perform an interesting little exercise here: Let’s put together a full team, starters and a solid bench:
- GK: Kevin Hartman
- RB: Hunter Freeman
- CB: Marvell Wynne
- CB: Danny Califf
- LB: Gonzalo Segares
- RM: Bryan Jordan
- DM: Julian de Guzman
- CM: Khari Stephenson
- LM: Justin Mapp
- FW: Juan Pablo Angel
- FW: Maicon Santos
On the bench:
- Bayern Munich – Borussia Dortmund: The tactics and the game’s shifting momentum 0
- Bayern Munich 2-1 Borussia Dortmund: Robben the hero, Bayern crowned Champions League winners 4
- Two last points on the Robbie Rogers trade news 1
- Champions League final preview: A bitter rivalry with much higher stakes 0
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 11
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (25)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers (14)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona