Dec 4, 2012, 10:07 AM EDT
We could assemble a fairly strong Starting 11, plus backups for form a full 18-man roster, from the list of eligible MLS re-entry draft players released yesterday.
On a busy, busy Monday (the first day after lifting of the roster freeze) Major League Soccer announced its list of players eligible for participation in the 2012 MLS Re-Entry Process.
These are players (63 of them) whose contracts are up or whose options were not picked up. For official purposes, clubs may still sign their Re-Entry Draft eligibles; they have until 5 pm ET Thursday to do so.
The list doesn’t necessarily reflect “bad” players; rather, these are players whose contract value, in the clubs’ estimations, no longer fit within broader plans. That’s why some pretty good players find themselves on this list today, players like Dallas goalkeeper Kevin Hartman, Chivas USA center back Danny Califf or Chicago left back Gonzalo Segares.
Unofficially, let’s perform an interesting little exercise here: Let’s put together a full team, starters and a solid bench:
- GK: Kevin Hartman
- RB: Hunter Freeman
- CB: Marvell Wynne
- CB: Danny Califf
- LB: Gonzalo Segares
- RM: Bryan Jordan
- DM: Julian de Guzman
- CM: Khari Stephenson
- LM: Justin Mapp
- FW: Juan Pablo Angel
- FW: Maicon Santos
On the bench:
- Tuesday’s Top 5 Champions League Goals: Which was the best? 0
- A Klinsmann Casualty? Juan Agudelo passed on by Wolverhampton 3
- Steven Gerrard admits he denied move to Real Madrid and that it may haunt him in the future 0
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Bayern, Chelsea, Shakhtar go crazy on 40-goal night 0
- Chelsea 6-0 Maribor: Hazard brace keeps Blues atop Group G 0
- AS Roma 1-7 Bayern Munich: Sublime Bayern smash Roma to go five points clear in Group E 1