Dec 4, 2012, 10:07 AM EDT
We could assemble a fairly strong Starting 11, plus backups for form a full 18-man roster, from the list of eligible MLS re-entry draft players released yesterday.
On a busy, busy Monday (the first day after lifting of the roster freeze) Major League Soccer announced its list of players eligible for participation in the 2012 MLS Re-Entry Process.
These are players (63 of them) whose contracts are up or whose options were not picked up. For official purposes, clubs may still sign their Re-Entry Draft eligibles; they have until 5 pm ET Thursday to do so.
The list doesn’t necessarily reflect “bad” players; rather, these are players whose contract value, in the clubs’ estimations, no longer fit within broader plans. That’s why some pretty good players find themselves on this list today, players like Dallas goalkeeper Kevin Hartman, Chivas USA center back Danny Califf or Chicago left back Gonzalo Segares.
Unofficially, let’s perform an interesting little exercise here: Let’s put together a full team, starters and a solid bench:
- GK: Kevin Hartman
- RB: Hunter Freeman
- CB: Marvell Wynne
- CB: Danny Califf
- LB: Gonzalo Segares
- RM: Bryan Jordan
- DM: Julian de Guzman
- CM: Khari Stephenson
- LM: Justin Mapp
- FW: Juan Pablo Angel
- FW: Maicon Santos
On the bench:
- Arsenal ooze class in securing back-to-back FA Cups. But can they win the Premier League title next season? 0
- Three things we learned from Arsenal’s FA Cup win vs. Aston Villa 0
- Arsenal 4-0 Aston Villa: Gunners swallow Villa to defend FA Cup title 1
- FOLLOW LIVE: Arsenal, Aston Villa square off in FA Cup final 0
- Hyndman stars as U.S. U-20 team downs Myanmar 2-1 to open World Cup play 2
- 2014-15 Premier League season review: PST’s Best XI of the Season 0