Dec 4, 2012, 1:25 PM EST
During yesterday’s L.A. Galaxy championship celebration, vice president Chris Klein poured out to the platitudes … and made a little news while he was at it.
Klein, the former Galaxy defender and longtime, highly respected MLS man, reminded the Home Depot Center crowd that this year’s team didn’t just win an MLS Championship. It also claimed the MLS Reserve League title and advanced into the quarterfinals of next year’s CONCACAF Champions League.
And then he lobbed this little grenade of praise: “I think we’re looking at the greatest team in American soccer history,” he said.
Hmmm. As I said, Klein is a fellow I respect. But he may want to slow his roll a little here. I suspect the man just got caught up in the moment.
It’s not such a far-fetched position to take, admittedly. But some of those ridiculously well-stocked Cosmos teams of yesteryear? And some of the past MLS champs were pretty strong, too.
I would also have loved to see the Galaxy win one of their two titles outside of their own building. That’s not a knock on Bruce Arena’s fine side. Just saying, before we declare anyone “best ever,” it would be nice to see them win one of the biggies in someone else’s building – or at least in a neutral site.
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 2
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 1
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 4
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 3
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland 5
- WATCH: Can Tottenham stop Luis Suarez and can City beat Arsenal? 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (16)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Group B: No Walk In The Park