Dec 4, 2012, 1:25 PM EDT
During yesterday’s L.A. Galaxy championship celebration, vice president Chris Klein poured out to the platitudes … and made a little news while he was at it.
Klein, the former Galaxy defender and longtime, highly respected MLS man, reminded the Home Depot Center crowd that this year’s team didn’t just win an MLS Championship. It also claimed the MLS Reserve League title and advanced into the quarterfinals of next year’s CONCACAF Champions League.
And then he lobbed this little grenade of praise: “I think we’re looking at the greatest team in American soccer history,” he said.
Hmmm. As I said, Klein is a fellow I respect. But he may want to slow his roll a little here. I suspect the man just got caught up in the moment.
It’s not such a far-fetched position to take, admittedly. But some of those ridiculously well-stocked Cosmos teams of yesteryear? And some of the past MLS champs were pretty strong, too.
I would also have loved to see the Galaxy win one of their two titles outside of their own building. That’s not a knock on Bruce Arena’s fine side. Just saying, before we declare anyone “best ever,” it would be nice to see them win one of the biggies in someone else’s building – or at least in a neutral site.
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 3 0
- Premier League Preview: Burnley vs. Manchester United 0
- MLS Weekend Preview: Derbies close weekend kicking off off at Sporting Park 1
- Premier League Power Rankings: Familiar faces jostle for the top spot – Week 1 2
- U.S. roster for Czech Republic: Quick look at some of the newer names 5
- Plenty of surprises in US national team roster for Czech Republic friendly 3