Dec 4, 2012, 1:25 PM EDT
During yesterday’s L.A. Galaxy championship celebration, vice president Chris Klein poured out to the platitudes … and made a little news while he was at it.
Klein, the former Galaxy defender and longtime, highly respected MLS man, reminded the Home Depot Center crowd that this year’s team didn’t just win an MLS Championship. It also claimed the MLS Reserve League title and advanced into the quarterfinals of next year’s CONCACAF Champions League.
And then he lobbed this little grenade of praise: “I think we’re looking at the greatest team in American soccer history,” he said.
Hmmm. As I said, Klein is a fellow I respect. But he may want to slow his roll a little here. I suspect the man just got caught up in the moment.
It’s not such a far-fetched position to take, admittedly. But some of those ridiculously well-stocked Cosmos teams of yesteryear? And some of the past MLS champs were pretty strong, too.
I would also have loved to see the Galaxy win one of their two titles outside of their own building. That’s not a knock on Bruce Arena’s fine side. Just saying, before we declare anyone “best ever,” it would be nice to see them win one of the biggies in someone else’s building – or at least in a neutral site.
- Stock Rising: United States men whose values are rising out of Salt Lake 0
- MLS Preview: Portland Timbers at LA Galaxy 0
- Goal, assist from Neymar give Brazil win, prolong Mexico’s woes 1
- MLS Preview: Houston Dynamo at Montréal Impact 0
- USA can theoretically clinch a World Cup berth in their next match 4
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team (27)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Orlando City dumps Sporting Kansas City out of U.S. Open Cup, extend unbeaten streak to 14 matches (13)
- It’s time FIFA reconsiders the Confederations Cup bid to the Oceania region (13)
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public