“Greatest team in American soccer history.” Hmmm

Dec 4, 2012, 1:25 PM EDT

Galaxy

During yesterday’s L.A. Galaxy championship celebration, vice president Chris Klein poured out to the platitudes … and made a little news while he was at it.

Klein, the former Galaxy defender and longtime, highly respected MLS man, reminded the Home Depot Center crowd that this year’s team didn’t just win an MLS Championship. It also claimed the MLS Reserve League title and advanced into the quarterfinals of next year’s CONCACAF Champions League.

And then he lobbed this little grenade of praise: “I think we’re looking at the greatest team in American soccer history,” he said.

Hmmm. As I said, Klein is a fellow I respect. But he may want to slow his roll a little here. I suspect the man just got caught up in the moment.

(MORE: Video from the celebration)

It’s not such a far-fetched position to take, admittedly. But some of those ridiculously well-stocked Cosmos teams of yesteryear? And some of the past MLS champs were pretty strong, too.

I would also have loved to see the Galaxy win one of their two titles outside of their own building. That’s not a knock on Bruce Arena’s fine side. Just saying, before we declare anyone “best ever,” it would be nice to see them win one of the biggies in someone else’s building – or at least in a neutral site.

1. mkbryant3 - Dec 4, 2012 at 1:35 PM

So hard to compare teams of different eras, but, for my money, my vote goes to the Miami Fusion team of Ray Hudson. And they did it with such an entertaining style.

• Steve Davis - Dec 4, 2012 at 1:46 PM

That really was a wiz-bang team to watch. … Chacon, Mastroeni, Beckerman, Rimando, Bishop, Valderrama, etc. BUT … they didn’t win a championship. So that’s a big hole in the argument, in my opinion.

2. tylerbetts - Dec 4, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Not the Championship game, but they did win a knockout game (for all intents and purposes) on the road against the Supporters Shield winner. And, while it wasn’t the most impressive of games, they did get the result they needed up at the CLink.

So, it’s not like they went through the whole tournament relying on good results at home and playing a 10-0-0 formation on the road to bunker in and protect that lead.

3. Dan Haug - Dec 4, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Comparing the top teams all-time in US soccer would be a great topic for an off-season post here…

Now to nitpick a couple of things from this post:
    - Klein was primarily a midfielder (although he did play right back at times). He also had 23 caps with the USMNT. (I think the caps are relevant for establishing credibility)
    - His comment was prefaced with (I’m paraphrasing here) “This is clearly arguable, but…”

Also, I agree with tylerbetts above. The fact that LA won championship matches at home shouldn’t really be much of a factor in the argument. It’s that fact that, over the past 4 years, LA has been so strong at home and on the road and has been able to impose their will on other teams to get wins in a variety of different ways. Then again… that’s a debate for another post (perhaps)

4. raven18011971 - Dec 5, 2012 at 7:04 AM

I don’t think this LA squad is nearly as strong as DC United were in their heyday. Four MLS finals in the first four seasons, with three MLS Cup titles, as well as one US Open Cup title, one CONCACAF Cup (the predecessor of the CONCACAF CL), and an Intercontinental Cup (sure, the Brazilian club Vasco da Gama treated it more like a friendly, but still, beating South Americans is never easy).

PST Extra: Race for the PL title