Dec 4, 2012, 3:02 PM EST
We are in “loan” season around MLS.
This is when, increasingly, teams abroad look to rent out MLS men to cover short-term gaps, or to boost troop strength or stage a preemptive strike against the scourge of attrition or … heck, maybe just because they like having someone around.
As for the big names, I think we can be quite safe in the assumption that Landon Donovan is not going anywhere. (It really was surprising last week during MLS Cup proceedings how many media minds still believe the guy is about to pack his bags and board the next boat for the Port of Liverpool, for yet another loan spell at Everton. Seriously … haven’t they been listening?)
Donovan isn’t going anywhere. Not on loan, that is.
But … his defending champion Galaxy teammate certainly may be. Robbie Keane’s loan spell was somewhat less ballyhooed last year, but he did come and go with relative success at Aston Villa.
The mitigating factor here is Keane’s extra-busy summer, the intense training and playing time for Ireland in the European Championships. So, perhaps he’s due for a rest. Then again …
I haven’t even thought of it, to be honest with you. I look forward to a rest now. It’s been a long season for me, I’ve played a lot of football. … It’s not certain now. I’ll think about it in a couple of weeks.”
He’ll be at home in Ireland while he thinks about it – and being a little closer to it all might just increase the chances that he’ll find an EPL loan assignment. He was certainly good enough over the season’s final three months to attract ample interest.
- WATCH: Premier League live on NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 29 0
- Americans Abroad Preview: European-based Americans back in action 0
- PST writers predict the 2014 Major League Soccer standings, do you agree? 3
- After monumental rebuild, Seattle Sounders target MLS Cup title. Can Sigi Schmid bring success? 3
- 2014 Season Preview: Welcome to the last year of MLS 2.0 6
- WATCH: Premier League TV Schedule – Week 29 0
- Liga MX Week 10 Round-Up: Toluca Keeps Climbing
- New Look Whitecaps Aim to hit Ground Running Against NY Red Bulls
- Three Star Toluca Dominate in Victory Over Puebla
- Sweden Clash U.S. Women's National Team Undefeated 2-Year Record
- Captain America to Visit Chivas USA
- Lockout Virus Continues, MLS to Start 2014 with Replacement Refs
- Revs To Rely on Intensity, Depth in Opener vs. Dynamo
- Three Keys & One Standout for Toronto FC
- The John Strong Interview. Part 1 - MLS 2014
- Gonzalo Pineda: ''Playing Outside of Mexico Has Always Been a Goal''