Dec 4, 2012, 3:02 PM EDT
We are in “loan” season around MLS.
This is when, increasingly, teams abroad look to rent out MLS men to cover short-term gaps, or to boost troop strength or stage a preemptive strike against the scourge of attrition or … heck, maybe just because they like having someone around.
As for the big names, I think we can be quite safe in the assumption that Landon Donovan is not going anywhere. (It really was surprising last week during MLS Cup proceedings how many media minds still believe the guy is about to pack his bags and board the next boat for the Port of Liverpool, for yet another loan spell at Everton. Seriously … haven’t they been listening?)
Donovan isn’t going anywhere. Not on loan, that is.
But … his defending champion Galaxy teammate certainly may be. Robbie Keane’s loan spell was somewhat less ballyhooed last year, but he did come and go with relative success at Aston Villa.
The mitigating factor here is Keane’s extra-busy summer, the intense training and playing time for Ireland in the European Championships. So, perhaps he’s due for a rest. Then again …
I haven’t even thought of it, to be honest with you. I look forward to a rest now. It’s been a long season for me, I’ve played a lot of football. … It’s not certain now. I’ll think about it in a couple of weeks.”
He’ll be at home in Ireland while he thinks about it – and being a little closer to it all might just increase the chances that he’ll find an EPL loan assignment. He was certainly good enough over the season’s final three months to attract ample interest.
- Mike Magee’s arrival can only help in Chicago 0
- Champions League final preview: A bitter rivalry with much higher stakes 0
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 11
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? 25
- Champions League Final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (25)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land (11)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy