Dec 4, 2012, 3:02 PM EST
We are in “loan” season around MLS.
This is when, increasingly, teams abroad look to rent out MLS men to cover short-term gaps, or to boost troop strength or stage a preemptive strike against the scourge of attrition or … heck, maybe just because they like having someone around.
As for the big names, I think we can be quite safe in the assumption that Landon Donovan is not going anywhere. (It really was surprising last week during MLS Cup proceedings how many media minds still believe the guy is about to pack his bags and board the next boat for the Port of Liverpool, for yet another loan spell at Everton. Seriously … haven’t they been listening?)
Donovan isn’t going anywhere. Not on loan, that is.
But … his defending champion Galaxy teammate certainly may be. Robbie Keane’s loan spell was somewhat less ballyhooed last year, but he did come and go with relative success at Aston Villa.
The mitigating factor here is Keane’s extra-busy summer, the intense training and playing time for Ireland in the European Championships. So, perhaps he’s due for a rest. Then again …
I haven’t even thought of it, to be honest with you. I look forward to a rest now. It’s been a long season for me, I’ve played a lot of football. … It’s not certain now. I’ll think about it in a couple of weeks.”
He’ll be at home in Ireland while he thinks about it – and being a little closer to it all might just increase the chances that he’ll find an EPL loan assignment. He was certainly good enough over the season’s final three months to attract ample interest.
- WATCH: Premier League live on NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 15 0
- MLS Cup preview: Real Salt Lake meets Sporting Kansas City to decide Major League Soccer’s 18th championship 1
- USA’s World Cup opponents: What to expect from Germany, Portugal and Ghana 8
- World Cup 2014: Group analysis from Soccerly.com 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (38)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (22)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (19)