Dec 5, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
I hope it doesn’t.
Not because getting Kaka wouldn’t be good for the league. It would be. But it’s an unnecessary waste of limited resources, and not the message MLS should be sending. At Fox Soccer, Leander Schaerlaeckens argues that MLS should focus on younger players, and I completely agree. The league should target rising young stars — the best players in Central America, the Caribbean, and, where they can, South America — rather than relying on aging superstars. Yes, Kaka is “only” 30, but so is Landon Donovan. And Kaka is no longer the Kaka of 2010.
Nor is Kaka David Beckham. The Brazilian is a celebrity because he’s a footballer, but Beckham was a celebrity because he was a brand. Two different things. Sure, Kaka would sell some Galaxy jerseys — plenty, probably — but I’m not sure how much he’d do to improve the league’s visibility abroad. The world already knows that MLS exists; the goal now is to prove to the rest of the planet how the quality is improving (and rapidly so). Bringing Kaka to these shores doesn’t accomplish that end. All it does is give Europeans et al another reason to look down on MLS.
And then there’s the money. The Galaxy have deep pockets — SD heard they would spend up to $9 million to secure the services of Didier Drogba — but lavishing fat contracts on men like Drogba and Kaka isn’t the answer. Just because you have the money doesn’t mean you should spend it unwisely.
But I don’t know. Maybe I’m wrong? Am I missing the influence he and his 13 million Twitter followers would have off the field?
- Can the United States deal with success vs. Honduras? 0
- Lineup prediction for U.S.-Honduras qualifier 2
- Big opportunity ahead as United States faces Honduras in World Cup qualifying action 1
- Huge cost of World Cups: Did we need a protest like Brazil’s to point out the obvious? 9
- Early returns from England’s offseason tell a tale of two Manchesters 0
- Criticism, negativity may leave Seattle with few rewards for their hosting efforts (20)
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public