Dec 7, 2012, 10:51 AM EDT
Stage 1 of the MLS Re-Entry draft takes place today at 3 p.m. Eastern, but for as much as we’ve been talking about the process, it occurs to me we haven’t really stopped to talk about not only what the draft is. Or why it is.
Before we get to the order and player lists, here are some quick bullet points. And as always, if you want to know more, this is a decent starting point:
- The first Re-Entry Draft was in 2010, instituted as a compromise between players’ desire for free agency and owners’ unwillingness to provide it.
- First stage is today; next stage is next Friday.
- If a player’s out of contract (expired, option not picked up) and meets some age/service requirements (23+ years old/3+ years of service; 25+/4; 30+; 8) he’s eligible.
- It’s essentially a waiver draft. Teams pick is reverse order of finish from the previous MLS season.
- Out of contract players selected in Stage 1 must have a Bone Fide Offer made to them in seven days. Even if the player doesn’t take it, that allows the selecting team to hold the player’s rights.
- If the player had an option, the new team picks up that option (and gets the player).
- The week between rounds gives sides time to negotiate a deal. Within that time, there’s an opportunity for teams to re-sign their own players.
- Players not on teams by next Friday go into stage 2. In the second round of stage 2 teams can pick their own players.
- Anybody not picked in stages 1 and 2 is a free agent. Anybody select has their first refuse rights tied to a club.
The order of selection:
1. Toronto FC
2. Chivas USA
3. Portland Timbers
4. New England Revolution
5. Philadelphia Union
6. Colorado Rapids
7. FC Dallas
8. Montreal Impact
9. Columbus Crew
10. Vancouver Whitecaps FC
11. Chicago Fire
12. Real Salt Lake
13. New York Red Bulls
14. Sporting Kansas City
15. San Jose Earthquakes
16. Seattle Sounders FC
17. D.C. United
18. Houston Dynamo
19. LA Galaxy
And the players that are eligible:
|OUT OF CONTRACT PLAYERS|
|CHV||Ángel, Juan Pablo|
|DAL||De Guzman, Julian|
|OPTION DECLINED PLAYERS|
|DC||Dos Santos, Maicon|
|RSL||Araujo, Paulo Jr.|
Sep 18, 2014, 9:22 PM EDT
Users decided to make the new art’s white space into a plus, ditching the high brow concept in favor of more appealing products.
Sep 18, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT
NBCSN’s first of three weekend broadcasts takes place tomorrow night at Rio Tinto Stadium.
Sep 18, 2014, 7:41 PM EDT
It’s 14 years off, but The FA is still planning to make a push.
Sep 18, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT
Roberto Martinez makes an impressive European debut, while Mauricio Pochettino sees him team go without a shot on target.
Sep 18, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT
MLS has admitted failure before. Today’s new art may prove to be another idea the league should cast off.
Sep 18, 2014, 3:09 PM EDT
With Week four in the books, here’s how the PL teams stack up in our rankings of power.
Sep 18, 2014, 2:27 PM EDT
What are people saying about Major League Soccer’s new look?
Sep 18, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
Wenger: “I was so close to signing Cristiano Ronaldo.”
Sep 18, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT
After just four wins from 20 games, Fulham’s owner has seen enough from Magath.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:37 PM EDT
Rodgers’ side have had an up and down start to the season. Is it the sign of things to come?
Sep 18, 2014, 11:33 AM EDT
Here’s what lies in store for Everton and Tottenham as Thursday night soccer begins.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Parmigiani watches worth over $25,000 dished out by Brazilian federation to FIFA’s exec. members must be returned.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:18 AM EDT
Gunners need reinforcements in defense, so who are they making a move for?
Sep 18, 2014, 9:35 AM EDT
Norwegian boss let go after just 9 wins in 30 games in charge of the Bluebirds.
Sep 18, 2014, 8:56 AM EDT
Star striker struggling with persistent hamstring problem ahead of Manchester City clash.
Sep 18, 2014, 8:19 AM EDT
What do you guys think of the brand new MLS logo?
Sep 18, 2014, 7:40 AM EDT
Klinsmann’s men move up after Czech Republic win. See where they’re ranked in the top 20.
Sep 17, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
A dog home ravaged by fire last week believes Mario Balotelli has made a sizable donation.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:55 PM EDT
Joe Prince-Wright and myself sat down with Jenna Corrado to discuss what City and Chelsea each need to accomplish to secure victory.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:28 PM EDT
Looking for complete transparency, however, Van Gaal has laid down the law: English only.
- Europe League roundup: Everton big winners at home; Spurs left with draw on the road 0
- It’s not too late for Major League Soccer to turn away from its new logo 16
- Premier League Power Rankings: Red Devils and Villans on the up 1
- PHOTO: MLS unveils new logo. What do you think? 22
- US move up one place in latest FIFA rankings; Wales the big winners 0
- Julian Draxler’s stunning performance puts Chelsea, Premier League on high alert 1