Dec 7, 2012, 7:30 AM EDT
Yikes. Tim Cahill (right) is already 34? I mean, we knew he was at this stage of his career when he came to New York last summer, but in light of the “adjustment period” last fall, that number is a little higher than you’d like for a guy who still needs to adjust to MLS. But another place, another time … Happy Birthday, Tim!
Big Important Stories of the Day:
Stage 1 of this year’s MLS Re-Entry Draft happens today, with the final round taking place next Friday. If all goes right, we’ll have more on this later today (updated player list, general principles, what to look for, and of course, results). For now, know that this is essentially a garage sale. You might find something interesting and make good use of it, but if you decide not to show up, you probably won’t regret it.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day):
*Ahead on the blog today:
In addition to the Re-Entry draft content? Well, aren’t we greedy. Very well. Mr. Steve Davis will be dropping in for another post from Breakfast with Jurgen (where, I can only infer, no food was served). We’ll start looking forward to the European weekend (and one game, in particular), and we’ll be keeping an eye on all the happenings in the lands of Becks, LD, and Kaká.
What you should watch on TV today:
If you have access to it, there’s a good match in the English second division today. I know, I know – what’s this guy who’s constantly taking shots at Anglophilia doing directing people to the second division of English soccer? Hey, a good game is a good game.
Cardiff City, currently sitting first, visits preseason promotion favorites Blackburn, with Rovers sitting ninth coming into the day’s action. Cardiff’s been the heartbreak team of recent seasons (so close but never promoted) while Blackburn – who still have the likes of Paul Robinson, Martin Olsson, Scott Dann, Morgan Gamst Pedersen on their roster (along with a number of names they’ve acquired since being relegated – continue to stuff the feathers inside the bird.
Check your local beIN Sport listings for time.
Background noise while blogging:
I apologize for this, but this song has been stuck in my head for seven years: The Outfield, “Your Love.”
Don’t click on that. I mean, I’ve been clicking on it. Constantly. I’m just saying you shouldn’t.
And between refreshes of that page, the Denver Broncos are playing some kind of scrimmage against a team that’s doing a passable impression of the Washington Generals.
We’ll leave you with this:
I’m not sure I agree with it, but if somebody wanted to make the argument that there are only two English Premier League games that matter this season, I’d be willing to listen. Manchester vs. Manchester is Sunday morning.
Jun 19, 2013, 7:35 PM EDT
There’re no shortage of players to praise after the U.S. completes a nine-out-of-nine run.
Jun 19, 2013, 6:47 PM EDT
Most U.S. players were still in the locker room an hour after final whistle Tuesday … watching a basketball game. Hmmm.
Jun 19, 2013, 5:58 PM EDT
Even while struggling, LA’s still the standard, but can they turn things around enough to keep Portland from the top of the West.
Jun 19, 2013, 5:25 PM EDT
Neymar’s show compounded problems for CONCACAF’s champions.
Jun 19, 2013, 4:52 PM EDT
The 42-year-old American revealed he is taking coaching courses to prepare for whenever his career is over.
Jun 19, 2013, 4:17 PM EDT
Some of those old issues of communication and understanding between Jones and Michael Bradley were on display once again in Utah:
Jun 19, 2013, 3:32 PM EDT
Montréal can open a gap atop the East with a win tonight. If Houston springs the upset, they’ll be within one point of the conference leaders.
Jun 19, 2013, 2:44 PM EDT
He didn’t exactly say much, but Pepe Reina’s club is Liverpool – at least, right now.
Jun 19, 2013, 12:04 PM EDT
Cameras caught a message from Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea, could it foreshadow a move?
Jun 19, 2013, 11:22 AM EDT
Fabio Capello is the latest manager to say “no” to the defending Ligue 1 champions.
Jun 19, 2013, 10:23 AM EDT
Liverpool take a huge net loss on the 24-year-old while West Ham set their transfer fee record.
Jun 19, 2013, 9:48 AM EDT
Tragedy struck Chivas USA’s youth squad Monday night.
Jun 19, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT
At the call of fans and media alike, the FA Cup final at Wembley will return to its post-league date.
Jun 19, 2013, 8:35 AM EDT
The United States had the perfect lineup to slowly whittle away at the Honduras defense before it finally broke.
Jun 19, 2013, 7:45 AM EDT
The 24-year-old American has found a new team after spending 5 seasons at Villa Park.
Jun 19, 2013, 7:08 AM EDT
The Premier League has released its fixture list for the 2013/2014 season in its entirety. Find out the opening fixtures plus your favorite team’s derby here!
Jun 19, 2013, 2:00 AM EDT
Feel free to ask yourself at this point: where would the United States be in World Cup qualifying without its young, in-form striker:
- Stock Rising: United States men whose values are rising out of Salt Lake 0
- MLS Preview: Portland Timbers at LA Galaxy 0
- Goal, assist from Neymar give Brazil win, prolong Mexico’s woes 1
- MLS Preview: Houston Dynamo at Montréal Impact 0
- USA can theoretically clinch a World Cup berth in their next match 4
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team (26)
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- LIVE: Stanley Cup Final Game 4 pregame show
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public