Dec 8, 2012, 1:51 PM EDT
The club hasn’t made an announcement yet, but if the man’s Twitter is any indication, José Luis Sanchez Sola – Chelis – is going to be the new boss at Chivas USA:
And although the guy deserves credit for having some English in the bag at the onset, something got lost in the translation here:
I take it Rich Ransom won’t be meeting Chelis at the airport.
We talked about it yesterday, but of the three candidates prominently connected to the Chivas USA job, I thought Sanchez was the worst fit. That doesn’t mean he’s doomed to fail. Jorge Vergara may have heard something in the interview that sold him on the choice. But with Ramon Ramirez and Steve Sampson, I can see why they’re be hungry to do well in this job. With Sanchez, I don’t see it.
That thinking is flimsy enough to fade away with one strong media session (which means the logic should hardly be used at all). What will be harder to dispel is the notion that Vergara continues to see Mexico has having answers for MLS. If the Chivas owner were bringing Enrique Meza or Victor Manuel Vucetich north, the move would be beyond reproach. But Sanchez is a man that’s been with three clubs since the beginning of 2010, the last of which was in the second division.
He has no experience in MLS and no meaningful connection to Chivas USA nor the club in Guadalajara.
The results will eventually speak for themselves, but on paper, there are a lot of question marks …
… presuming Chelis isn’t speaking out of turn on Twitter.
Jun 18, 2013, 7:14 PM EDT
Everyone loves “The Pope”
Jun 18, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Our weekly re-ordering of Major League Soccer teams, following 16 rounds of play:
Jun 18, 2013, 2:05 PM EDT
Some of the best U.S. success in the past has come when the United States was backed into a corner. Tonight looks much different:
Jun 18, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
There are a few choices to be made ahead of Tuesday’s match in Utah:
Jun 18, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Unsaid in this narrative is this: most U.S. sites are bright and alive these days.
Jun 18, 2013, 11:06 AM EDT
Stuart Pearce has been relieved of his duties as manager of England’s U-21 squad.
Jun 18, 2013, 9:34 AM EDT
Australia join Brazil and Japan as nations that already have booked their place in next summer’s World Cup.
Jun 18, 2013, 7:56 AM EDT
Hearts have put the entire squad up for sale to raise the reported £500,000 needed to get the club to the start of the season.
Jun 18, 2013, 12:10 AM EDT
Brazil has infrastructure concerns. They’ve also spent $3.3 billion on soccer stadia. No surprise, people aren’t happy.
Jun 17, 2013, 10:43 PM EDT
The mythology of Ajax, Dutch soccer and one stars’ struggles outside the Dutch league make this potential transfer difficult to evaluate.
Jun 17, 2013, 8:23 PM EDT
It’s only a matter of time before Ancelotti’s holding pattern’s resolved.
Jun 17, 2013, 7:39 PM EDT
It’s early days, but while City close the gap, Manchester United have yet to act.
Jun 17, 2013, 6:51 PM EDT
With a buy-out in his contract, Villas-Boas likely will be given a choice between Paris and London.
Jun 17, 2013, 5:59 PM EDT
Steve Bruce reunites with a player he brought to Wigan Athletic.
Jun 17, 2013, 5:19 PM EDT
Tahiti are a great story, but nobody wins when small countries get slaughtered by the world’s top teams.
Jun 17, 2013, 3:55 PM EDT
The U.S. midfielder has successfully completed the concussion recovery protocol:
- Can the United States deal with success vs. Honduras? 0
- Lineup prediction for U.S.-Honduras qualifier 2
- Big opportunity ahead as United States faces Honduras in World Cup qualifying action 1
- Huge cost of World Cups: Did we need a protest like Brazil’s to point out the obvious? 9
- Early returns from England’s offseason tell a tale of two Manchesters 0
- Criticism, negativity may leave Seattle with few rewards for their hosting efforts (20)
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public