Dec 9, 2012, 7:00 AM EST
Once the U.S. Women’s National Team finishes the final match of their Fan Celebration Tour, they have played 32 matches this calendar year. With seasons like that, you can see why Christie Rampone has 274 career caps, Abby Wambach has 196, and Shannon Boxx and Heather O’Reilly have 178 and 177 appearances respectively.
To put that in perspective, the all-time international caps leader on the men’s side is Egypt’s Ahmed Hassan. The midfielder’s “only” made 184 appearances.
Amid those numbers it’s no surprise that Amy Rodriguez, a part of the senior national team since she was 18 years old, reached the century mark on Saturday, captaining the team during their 2-0 victory over China. At 25, she joins Rampone, Wambech, Boxx, O’Reilly, Carli Lloyd, Heather Mitts and Hope Solo as USWNT centenarians.
For most of the Pia Sundhage years, she started with Wambach in attack, but with the emergence of Alex Morgan, Rodriguez has settled into a super sub’s role. Now, she sees time both at left wing and forward, though a record-tying five-goal performance off the bench in January versus the Dominican Republic showed she can still grab goals at the international level.
Here’s the former USC Trojan after her landmark night in Detroit:
- The Benny Feilhaber Conundrum: Has Peter Vermes finally solved the puzzle? 0
- Real Salt Lake’s 2013: The not-so-rebuilding year that could end in an MLS title 1
- Premier League Roundup: Moyes defeated in Everton reunion; top five snag wins 0
- David Moyes bemoans bad luck as former side Everton come back to haunt him 1
- West Bromwich Albion 2-3 Manchester City: Citizens address road worries with convincing performance at The Hawthorns 0
- Sunderland 3-4 Chelsea: Blues grab crucial away win as Hazard dazzles (video) 0
- Arsenal 2-0 Hull City: Bendtner and Ozil keep Gunners top (video) 0
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw 19
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- USA drop one spot to 14th in latest FIFA World Rankings, Portugal surge to fifth (19)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (19)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (17)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (14)