Dec 10, 2012, 1:52 PM EDT
Andy Najar, D.C. United’s young right-sided star, is on trial at Jupiler League giant Anderlecht, according to reports out of Belgium.
Belgian outlet 7Sur7 is reporting that the 19-year-old Honduran is on a week-long trial with John van den Brom’s club, the team having an option to keep D.C.’s first choice right back through the end of the season. That timeframe would see Najar in Belgium for the start of the Major League Soccer season.
D.C. United has yet to confirm or acknowledge the news (see here and here), while MLSSoccer.com only includes the news as a series of links. Perhaps that’s consistent with this being a trial as opposed to a loan (loans was usually announced and acknowledged), but it’s also consistent with a report that needs a little more backing.
In three MLS seasons, Najar has 10 goals and 11 assists, numbers bolstered by two years at right wing. Playing mostly in defense during the 2012 season, Najar had 0 goals and 4 assists, finishing the season suspended after throwing a ball at the referee during the open leg of D.C.’s conference semifinal against the New York Red Bulls.
The Belgian league, and Anderlecht in particular, would be a perfect spot for Najar, and not only because one American (Sacha Kljestan) already calls the club home (Najar grew up in the United States). The style of play is conducive to a 19-year-old skill player’s development, and while competition for playing time at Anderlecht will be tough, the club is always in Champions or Europa League. There’ll be no shortage of games in which Najar could make a possible appearance.
- Three things we learned from Chelsea’s win vs. Manchester United 0
- Chelsea 1-0 Manchester United: Hazard leads defensive Blues past Red Devils 0
- Arsenal 2-1 Reading: Alexis helps Gunners clinch FA Cup final berth 0
- Stoke City 2-1 Southampton: Adam’s goal seals comeback; dashes Saints top four hopes 1
- Leicester City 2-0 Swansea City: Pearson’s Foxes dominant in massive win 0
- Watch Live: Chelsea vs. Manchester United (Lineups and Live Stream) 0