Dec 10, 2012, 7:15 PM EDT
Monterrey was able to dominate Ulsan Hyundai on Sunday, remarkable considering they were without their best player. While Chilean international Humberto Suazo had a down tournament in Mexico, he’s still the Rayados’ one true world class player, and while the 2012 CONCACAF Champions may have gotten through the FIFA Club World Cup quarterfinals without him, they’ll surely need his help to upset European champions Chelsea on Thursday.
Unfortunately for Monterrey, head coach Victor Manuel Vucetich is going to have to come up with a Suazo-less plan after news that ‘Chupete’ has returned to Mexico and is set to miss the remainder of the tournament with a muscle tear in his thigh.
Suazo is expected to miss a month, meaning he should be ready for the start of the Clausura. Vucetich, however, has says Chupete should be considered to be out indefiitely.
Despite missing three games, Chupete’s six goals led the Rayados in the Apertura. In Vucetich’s system, Suazo is not only the team’s main goal scoring threat but also their playmaker, serving as a No. 10 behind forward Aldo de Negris.
In Suazo’s place, 19-year-old attacker Jesus Corona will stay in Vucetich’s starting XI. Corona scored Monterrey’s first goal on Sunday after failing to score in 13 appearances in the Apertura.
- Mike Magee’s arrival can only help in Chicago 0
- Champions League final preview: A bitter rivalry with much higher stakes 0
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 10
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? 25
- Champions League Final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (25)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land (10)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy