Dec 11, 2012, 2:02 PM EDT
We are just 10 days past the 17th MLS Cup championship – so why does it seem like three weeks?
Probably because this will be the shortest MLS off-season, if we can even call it that. The time off has been trimmed on both sides; the 2012 season went longer than ever, into December for the first time, and the 2013 regular season begins earlier than ever, in early March. It’s about a month earlier than in those first years of the late 1990s and early 2000s.
That means things are moving at lickety-split pace. There’s no other way.
Talking points so far (some of which have been resolved, others not):
- The ongoing David Beckham watch
- The ongoing Landon Donovan watch
- Real Salt Lake’s roster makeover
- Red Bull’s roster makeover and coaching search
- Chivas USA’s coaching search
- D.C. United’s management shuffle
- An eventful period of player option declines
- An uneventful Phase I of the MLS Re-Entry Draft
For a more thorough review of the above, and more, this is a good place to start: a piece from Soccer America wrapping up the first 10 days of Major League’s Soccer post-season lite.
- Bayern Munich – Borussia Dortmund: The tactics and the game’s shifting momentum 0
- Bayern Munich 2-1 Borussia Dortmund: Robben the hero, Bayern crowned Champions League winners 4
- Two last points on the Robbie Rogers trade news 1
- Champions League final preview: A bitter rivalry with much higher stakes 0
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 11
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (25)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers (14)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona