Dec 11, 2012, 10:22 AM EDT
English Premier League teams are lining up to benefit from a possible short-term fling with New York Red Bulls striker Tim Cahill, according to a report in England’s Daily Mail.
The report mentions several clubs, including a couple of relegation-threatened strugglers who could surely use all the help they can possibly get.
Still, you have to believe that Everton remains Cahill’s most likely destination – assuming the Red Bulls want to loan out their valuable Designated Player.
Cahill and the Toffees enjoyed a wonderful relationship that spanned eight years and 226 games. They parted amicably last summer when Cahill, moving into the winter of his fine career, moved to MLS and the Red Bulls.
But it’s not just the cozy relationship that makes Everton such a high odds landing zone for the longtime Australian international. The men of Goodison Park find themselves in a surprisingly high position approaching the typically busy Christmas period.
The weekend’s stirring, late comeback over Tottenham has Everton in fourth place, still riding high on the great start for David Moyes’ team in the 2012-13 EPL campaign.
Moyes’ club, perennially among the best at squeezing the most from its roster, isn’t as deep as some of the teams that will be in pursuit of the Toffees over the season’s second half. So a performer of Cahill’s caliber, even on a two-month loan, would help protect against injuries and overuse during the busy spell ahead, and ensure that U.S. international Tim Howard and his team have the best chance to hold their lofty spot.
- Real Madrid beat Barcelona to win Copa del Rey, as Bale’s brilliance seals it 1
- It’s official: Atlanta gets Major League Soccer’s 22nd franchise 1
- Manchester City 2-2 Sunderland: Two Wickham goals, late Nasri equalizer leave sides even (video) 2
- Everton 2-3 Crystal Palace: Toffees’ top four hopes take huge hit 6
- Ahead of Atlanta’s expected MLS entry, are NFL stadium shares the way to go? 12
- Premier League Preview: Man City host Sunderland, Everton face Palace 0