Dec 11, 2012, 7:00 PM EDT
In one of those British headline writer’s dream (England’s Daily Mail called it an “embarrassment of epic proportions”), Arsenal bombed out of the Capital One Cup quarter-finals, losing to … wait for it … fourth-tier Bradford City.
Fabled Gunners fell in penalty kicks to the small club from West Yorkshire.
Getting right into it:
- It really is ashamed that so much of the talk here will be about Arsenal, Arsene Wenger, etc., because it really was a monumental effort, as esteemed NBC colleague Arlo White called it on Twitter. By most accounts, Bradford City was better Tuesday and fully deserving of its first Carling Cup semifinal appearance. Underscoring that sentiment is the fact that …
- Arsenal played a strong side, with only a couple of non-regulars.
- This will add yet another hardy layer to the ongoing debate on whether Wenger remains the right man for the job around the Emirates. On the one hand, he has the Gunners back in their most familiar of spots, in Champions League knockout stage. It really is an impressive run, competing now in the elimination phase of the world’s best club competition for a 13th consecutive season. On the other hand …
- Wenger’s trophy drought will continue, and that means something to a club like Arsenal. Last hardware for Gunners: the 2005 FA Cup. The Carling Cup may not approach the FA Cup (and certainly isn’t in the same stratosphere as an EPL title or a Champions League crown), but it carried the distinction of being the best route to a title around the Emirates this year.
Apr 16, 2014, 10:22 PM EDT
It took six-and-a-half weeks, but last year’s Supporters’ Shield winners have their first victory of the season.
Apr 16, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
Three matches the shoot up the title, Champions League races:
Apr 16, 2014, 8:57 PM EDT
One location is the clear favor for No. 24, but down to one slot, the competition could pick up.
Apr 16, 2014, 7:57 PM EDT
Like his players, City’s boss has plenty of questions to answer after Wednesday’s disappointment.
Apr 16, 2014, 6:52 PM EDT
If Atlanta, Miami aren’t good sports towns, it may not matter. The doubts critics have cast on the league’s Southeast excursion may be irrelevant.
Apr 16, 2014, 6:29 PM EDT
Top four hopes over for Everton?
Apr 16, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT
Real win Copa del Rey as Barcelona’s bad run continues:
Apr 16, 2014, 5:26 PM EDT
One more spot in MLS’s planned expansion is gone, with Atlanta set to begin play in 2017.
Apr 16, 2014, 4:52 PM EDT
Two late goals gave Sunderland a lead, one City pulled back just before full-time.
Apr 16, 2014, 4:51 PM EDT
Eagles soar to safety, but Everton’s Champions League dreams are in ruins:
Apr 16, 2014, 3:37 PM EDT
Two of Serie A’s most productive scorers may not be at this summer’s World Cup. Llorente wonders why.
Apr 16, 2014, 2:56 PM EDT
Which Liverpool player picked up the Player of the Week accolade?
Apr 16, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
Both sides look to cash in on matches in hand at the Etihad.
Apr 16, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
Can Tim Howard and the Toffees win their eighth-straight game? Watch live online, right here:
Apr 16, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Having MLS teams share their home with NFL sides could be a smart move ahead of the next wave of expansion:
Apr 16, 2014, 1:28 PM EDT
Find out who made the PL Team of the Week, right here:
Apr 16, 2014, 12:35 PM EDT
Two PL matches take place on Wednesday, with both set to impact the top and bottom of the standings:
Apr 16, 2014, 12:04 PM EDT
Are you ready to get ‘Duff-ed?’
Apr 16, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
Watch all 10 PL games across 10 different channels on final day of the season. All the details, right here:
Apr 16, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
PlayStation, mafia-style fights, Gattuso and not feeling pressure… welcome to the extremely cool world of Pirlo:
- Henry, Sam goals see New York break into the win column 0
- Real Madrid beat Barcelona to win Copa del Rey, as Bale’s brilliance seals it 1
- It’s official: Atlanta gets Major League Soccer’s 22nd franchise 1
- Manchester City 2-2 Sunderland: Two Wickham goals, late Nasri equalizer leave sides even (video) 3
- Everton 2-3 Crystal Palace: Toffees’ top four hopes take huge hit 6
- Ahead of Atlanta’s expected MLS entry, are NFL stadium shares the way to go? 12