Dec 11, 2012, 4:03 PM EDT
Say this for the New York Cosmos: they recognize the value of market knowledge and regional familiarity.
Because yet another former member of the New York Red Bulls / MetroStars has signed up for the once-and-again brand known as Cosmos.
The New York Cosmos just announced the signing of former Red Bulls defender Carlos Mendes, a Long Island native. Mendes is the new club’s first player signing.
Mendes, 31, spent six years with the MLS organization, riding out the transition as the NY/NJ MetroStars became the Red Bulls. He is second on the franchise’s all-time appearance list.
He joins Gio Savarese, another former MetroStar who was recently named Cosmos head coach. The club’s CEO is Erik Stover, who helped build Red Bull Arena.
- David Moyes vilified on return to Everton, as Manchester United nightmare continues 0
- Everton 2-0 Manchester United: Toffees rampant in miserable return for Moyes 1
- Miami mayor hits back at Beckham stadium critics 1
- Norwich City 2-3 Liverpool: Sterling, Reds with one hand on the title 3
- Premier League Sunday Preview: Liverpool’s chance to tighten its grip; Fourth place in focus 0
- MLS Roundup: Sporting climbs to first in East; RSL stays undefeated 0