Dec 11, 2012, 4:03 PM EDT
Say this for the New York Cosmos: they recognize the value of market knowledge and regional familiarity.
Because yet another former member of the New York Red Bulls / MetroStars has signed up for the once-and-again brand known as Cosmos.
The New York Cosmos just announced the signing of former Red Bulls defender Carlos Mendes, a Long Island native. Mendes is the new club’s first player signing.
Mendes, 31, spent six years with the MLS organization, riding out the transition as the NY/NJ MetroStars became the Red Bulls. He is second on the franchise’s all-time appearance list.
He joins Gio Savarese, another former MetroStar who was recently named Cosmos head coach. The club’s CEO is Erik Stover, who helped build Red Bull Arena.
- Still defending racial incident, seething at bite talk, Suarez returns for Barcelona 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks – Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 9 0
- Introducing: “The 2 Robbies ‘Football’ Show” on NBCSportsRadio.com 0
- El Clasico: Luis Suarez, Barcelona and Real Madrid together at last 0
- VIDEO: Can Manchester United beat Chelsea? PST Extra breaks it down 2