Dec 11, 2012, 4:03 PM EDT
Say this for the New York Cosmos: they recognize the value of market knowledge and regional familiarity.
Because yet another former member of the New York Red Bulls / MetroStars has signed up for the once-and-again brand known as Cosmos.
The New York Cosmos just announced the signing of former Red Bulls defender Carlos Mendes, a Long Island native. Mendes is the new club’s first player signing.
Mendes, 31, spent six years with the MLS organization, riding out the transition as the NY/NJ MetroStars became the Red Bulls. He is second on the franchise’s all-time appearance list.
He joins Gio Savarese, another former MetroStar who was recently named Cosmos head coach. The club’s CEO is Erik Stover, who helped build Red Bull Arena.
- USWNT 6-0 Haiti: Wambach braces US in 90 minute demolition of Haiti 0
- New York Cosmos reportedly sign Spanish legend Raul, will play and coach 0
- Report: It will be Colombia – not Croatia – for USMNT in November 0
- WATCH: West Brom 2-2 Manchester United: Blind earns draw for Red Devils on road 3
- Premier League Playback: Liverpool can’t get rid of Luis Suarez hangover 0
- MUST SEE: Wesley Sneijder scores two wonder goals 2