Dec 11, 2012, 4:03 PM EST
Say this for the New York Cosmos: they recognize the value of market knowledge and regional familiarity.
Because yet another former member of the New York Red Bulls / MetroStars has signed up for the once-and-again brand known as Cosmos.
The New York Cosmos just announced the signing of former Red Bulls defender Carlos Mendes, a Long Island native. Mendes is the new club’s first player signing.
Mendes, 31, spent six years with the MLS organization, riding out the transition as the NY/NJ MetroStars became the Red Bulls. He is second on the franchise’s all-time appearance list.
He joins Gio Savarese, another former MetroStar who was recently named Cosmos head coach. The club’s CEO is Erik Stover, who helped build Red Bull Arena.
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 17 0
- Another set back for Southampton: Jay Rodriguez’s nightmare year continues 0
- Premier League Preview: Aston Villa vs. Manchester United 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Everton, Manchester United, Liverpool 0
- Report: Garcia’s World Cup ethics report to be released after all 4
- Paul Scholes: Thierry Henry’s legendary goal vs. Man United was my fault 2