Dec 11, 2012, 4:03 PM EDT
Say this for the New York Cosmos: they recognize the value of market knowledge and regional familiarity.
Because yet another former member of the New York Red Bulls / MetroStars has signed up for the once-and-again brand known as Cosmos.
The New York Cosmos just announced the signing of former Red Bulls defender Carlos Mendes, a Long Island native. Mendes is the new club’s first player signing.
Mendes, 31, spent six years with the MLS organization, riding out the transition as the NY/NJ MetroStars became the Red Bulls. He is second on the franchise’s all-time appearance list.
He joins Gio Savarese, another former MetroStar who was recently named Cosmos head coach. The club’s CEO is Erik Stover, who helped build Red Bull Arena.
- Manchester United to add new $56 million striker as Monaco’s Martial leaves France duty 1
- Done Deals: De Bruyne joins Manchester City in busy day for Wolfsburg 1
- USMNT releases 23-man roster for September friendlies 2
- Swansea City 2-1 Manchester United: Swans comeback stuns Red Devils 3
- Sunday Transfer Rumor Roundup: Draxler to Wolfsburg, Wanyama to leave Saints 1
- Manchester City officially signs Kevin de Bruyne 1