Sporting Kansas City’s Teal Bunbury working way to health – but his national team place keeps slipping
Dec 11, 2012, 9:44 AM EDT
U.S. under-23 international Teal Bunbury is making good progress in his recovery bid following major knee surgery last August.
This story says he’s about halfway through the long road back from sustaining ACL and LCL damage. The Sporting Kansas City striker, a starter and the spear of his team’s three-forward setup at the time of his injury, does not want a specific timetable for his recovery. But if he is more or less halfway to health, Bunbury will get on the field in March, probably not quite in time for SKC’s early March kickoff to the 2013 season but training with the team, at least.
Bunbury could conceivably return in time to make little run for Jurgen Klinsmann’s “B” team that will make an appearance this summer; the national team’s second unit will be summoned for the CONCACAF Gold Cup, leaving the “A” side to the more critical business of World Cup qualifying.
The trouble for Bunbury is what has happened in the U.S. forward pool in the meantime.
Remember, Bunbury was tiptoeing the edges of the striker pool anyway. So, he has surely slipped further in the order. Specifically, here is what has gone on over the last six months or so to alter the order.
- Seattle Sounder Eddie Johnson has re-emerged, showing Klinsmann a little something in those two final World Cup qualifiers in the semifinal stage.
- Jozy Altidore has reinforced his position after that notorious October exclusion.
- Young German-American Terrance Boyd keeps progressing nicely at Rapid Vienna, stacking the “good” ever higher in his quest to break into the upper echelon or U.S. strikers.
- Chris Wondolowski has kept a low profile on the national team, but his record-breaking scoring in MLS and continued good attitude during time in Klinsmann’s team has kept the Earthquakes man in the picture.
- Wondolowski’s San Jose teammate Alan Gordon has established himself as some part of this multi-layered equation.
- Juan Agudelo, still just 20 years old, has fought past the Chivas USA clutter to remind everyone that he is still worth mentioning in this conversation.
- D.C. United’s Chris Pontius, circling the outer markers of this busy national team “airport,” keeps pressing his case; Klinsmann says he is well aware of D.C. United’s splendid, versatile attacker.
And all that is not mentioning Clint Dempsey and Herculez Gomez, who have done little to damage their places at the top of the order.
Oct 24, 2014, 7:27 PM EDT
The New York Red Bulls made a young girl’s dream come true as she signed a one-day contract with her favorite team.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:20 PM EDT
Watch the Black Cats host the Gunners at 9:45 a.m. ET online via Live Extra.
Oct 24, 2014, 5:31 PM EDT
UEFA handed Serbia a 3-0 win but deducted points after their match against Albania was called off due to violence.
Oct 24, 2014, 4:43 PM EDT
The former England captain and Manchester United legend plans to retire after his season at QPR.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
Watch as Leicester City travels to Liberty Stadium tomorrow live on NBC at 12:30 p.m. ET.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:04 PM EDT
Pogba broke through with 9 goals and 10 assists across all competitions for Juventus last season and a goal and assist at the World Cup.
A coach tells a fan tells a ticket rep… How soccer fans and the Red Bulls created this adorable goal video
Oct 24, 2014, 2:26 PM EDT
It’s a little dusty in here. Godspeed, Irelyn. May a cure be found in short order!
Oct 24, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT
It’s going to be ugly and we’re going to shake our heads. Some will feign shock. And the whole cycle will repeat itself again at Barcelona.
Oct 24, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
Here’s how PST’s editor and lead writer sees things panning out this weekend.
Oct 24, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Perhaps a respite for Tim Howard and Brad Guzan, as their clubs face lesser competition this week in Burnley and QPR, respectively.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:25 PM EDT
Where and how to watch every game during Week 9 of the PL.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT
It’s a top-four battle — no, seriously — as Manchester City rolls into Upton Park to take on Sam Allardyce’s West Ham United.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
Who makes the cut as MLS players deserving of a look at USMNT camp?
Oct 24, 2014, 10:25 AM EDT
An all-MLS final appearance is impossible thanks to seeding, and Montreal and DC can only face-off if they win in the quarterfinals this winter.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:38 AM EDT
The purpose of the show is for the Robbies to hear from the fans on this call-in show, so dial 855-323-4622 and have your say.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:22 AM EDT
El Clasico is upon us, and my goodness will it be a doozy between Real Madrid and Barcelona on Saturday at the Bernabeu.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:31 AM EDT
French police had arrested a man for selling drugs, according to the BBC, and that earned the ire of already on-edge Everton supporters.
Oct 24, 2014, 7:44 AM EDT
The European Club Association includes at least one club from every nation in UEFA and includes Manchester United, Chelsea and Barcelona.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:17 AM EDT
Previewing the last weekend of full-tilt MLS competition.
Oct 23, 2014, 11:06 PM EDT
Lille and Nigeria goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama thinks it would be dangerous to hold the Africa Cup of Nations with the Ebola outbreak.
- Premier League Preview: Sunderland vs. Arsenal 0
- Still defending racial incident, seething at bite talk, Suarez returns for Barcelona 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks – Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 9 0
- Introducing: “The 2 Robbies ‘Football’ Show” on NBCSportsRadio.com 0
- El Clasico: Luis Suarez, Barcelona and Real Madrid together at last 0