Sporting Kansas City’s Teal Bunbury working way to health – but his national team place keeps slipping
Dec 11, 2012, 9:44 AM EDT
U.S. under-23 international Teal Bunbury is making good progress in his recovery bid following major knee surgery last August.
This story says he’s about halfway through the long road back from sustaining ACL and LCL damage. The Sporting Kansas City striker, a starter and the spear of his team’s three-forward setup at the time of his injury, does not want a specific timetable for his recovery. But if he is more or less halfway to health, Bunbury will get on the field in March, probably not quite in time for SKC’s early March kickoff to the 2013 season but training with the team, at least.
Bunbury could conceivably return in time to make little run for Jurgen Klinsmann’s “B” team that will make an appearance this summer; the national team’s second unit will be summoned for the CONCACAF Gold Cup, leaving the “A” side to the more critical business of World Cup qualifying.
The trouble for Bunbury is what has happened in the U.S. forward pool in the meantime.
Remember, Bunbury was tiptoeing the edges of the striker pool anyway. So, he has surely slipped further in the order. Specifically, here is what has gone on over the last six months or so to alter the order.
- Seattle Sounder Eddie Johnson has re-emerged, showing Klinsmann a little something in those two final World Cup qualifiers in the semifinal stage.
- Jozy Altidore has reinforced his position after that notorious October exclusion.
- Young German-American Terrance Boyd keeps progressing nicely at Rapid Vienna, stacking the “good” ever higher in his quest to break into the upper echelon or U.S. strikers.
- Chris Wondolowski has kept a low profile on the national team, but his record-breaking scoring in MLS and continued good attitude during time in Klinsmann’s team has kept the Earthquakes man in the picture.
- Wondolowski’s San Jose teammate Alan Gordon has established himself as some part of this multi-layered equation.
- Juan Agudelo, still just 20 years old, has fought past the Chivas USA clutter to remind everyone that he is still worth mentioning in this conversation.
- D.C. United’s Chris Pontius, circling the outer markers of this busy national team “airport,” keeps pressing his case; Klinsmann says he is well aware of D.C. United’s splendid, versatile attacker.
And all that is not mentioning Clint Dempsey and Herculez Gomez, who have done little to damage their places at the top of the order.
Mar 31, 2015, 5:27 PM EDT
Tottenham Hotspur could have new digs as soon as the 2018-19 season, according to the BBC.
Mar 31, 2015, 4:38 PM EDT
Though Wayne Rooney had a series of good chances including a struck crossbar, it was the Tottenham man who beat Gianluigi Buffon to tie things up.
Mar 31, 2015, 3:47 PM EDT
What would the price tag be for the German star if he skipped Dortmund for Old Trafford?
Mar 31, 2015, 2:50 PM EDT
Here are three points and a bonus reminder from the Yanks’ final match until April 15 in Texas against Mexico.
Mar 31, 2015, 2:01 PM EDT
Another late goal denies the USMNT victory.
Mar 31, 2015, 1:07 PM EDT
Shea does his best Gareth Bale impression.
Mar 31, 2015, 12:49 PM EDT
Messi’s right foot is still giving him some bother.
Mar 31, 2015, 11:16 AM EDT
Klinsmann makes changes to team who lost to Denmark, switches up formation.
Mar 31, 2015, 10:56 AM EDT
Could Di Maria be on his way out of Old Trafford after just one season?
Mar 31, 2015, 10:02 AM EDT
Plenty of intriguing questions surrounding the USMNT picture ahead of Tuesday’s game against the Swiss.
Mar 31, 2015, 9:40 AM EDT
Top European teams will get extra revenue from Champions League, Europa League from next season.
Mar 31, 2015, 8:45 AM EDT
Three out of five ain’t bad, right?
Mar 31, 2015, 7:57 AM EDT
Messi tops list of forwards in Europe.
USMNT vs Switzerland preview: Last time they met, Michael Bradley scored the winner with a full head of hair
Mar 30, 2015, 11:07 PM EDT
Maurice Edu and Danny Szetela helped the goal get going, and Bradley was barely more than 20 years old.
Mar 30, 2015, 10:15 PM EDT
Fortunately for Chedjou, Cameroon came back to beat Thailand 3-2.
Mar 30, 2015, 9:24 PM EDT
Lads and ladies, men and women, dudes and dudettes, it’s going to be a bit of an odd week for the MLS Team of the Week here on PST.
Mar 30, 2015, 8:40 PM EDT
The anthem that blared over the loudspeaker happened to belong to Isle of Man, not on-field participants El Salvador.
Mar 30, 2015, 7:46 PM EDT
Reports say he was lost after leaving a fraternity party near the University of Southern California.
Mar 30, 2015, 7:20 PM EDT
Who claimed the honors for Week 4 in Major League Soccer? The only former Ballon d’Or winner in the league!
- Three things we learned from the USMNT’s late 1-1 draw in Switzerland 0
- Player ratings: Stars and flops for the USMNT in 1-1 draw at Switzerland 5
- Switzerland 1-1 USMNT: Another late equalizer cancels out Shea’s stunner 2
- VIDEO: Watch Brek Shea’s stunning free kick for USA against Switzerland 2
- Lineups out for USMNT vs. Switzerland: Williams, Morales, Shea come in; diamond in midfield 2
- VIDEO: Watch Real Madrid’s Gareth Bale dominate NBA’s half court challenge 0