Dec 11, 2012, 8:10 PM EST
If interest builds in this new women’s league as quickly is the news around it is developing, the latest incarnation of women’s professional soccer will be just fine, thank you very much.
There is news aplenty, for instance, out of Germantown, Md., today, where the Washington, D.C. area’s entry in the new league has revealed some of its most important elements: its name, home venue, head coach and Twitter handle.
The Washington Spirit (WashingtonSpirit.com) will play and train inside the Championship Stadium at the Maryland SoccerPlex in Germantown. Mike Jorden will coach the team, which will lean into the social media world from @WashSpirit on Twitter.
All this comes just three weeks past the announcement of a new, eight-team league that would begin in the spring of 2013. So, clearly, teams need to move fast – and some are moving at a quicker pace than others.
Looks like the Portland Timbers will be next to reveal plans for their women’s side. Club owner Merritt Paulson is pushing out hints on Twitter, and says it should drop publicly on Thursday.
- UK Twitter chat in 2013 dominated by soccer. Good thing or bad thing? 1
- UEFA rules set up Arsenal, Manchester City for tough Champions League Round of 16 draws 3
- No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11 1
- UEFA Champions League recap: Barça, Chelsea, Dortmund claim groups; Arsenal through; Juve out 0
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"