Dec 12, 2012, 8:10 AM EDT
Yesterday, even the most football-mad supporters in football-mad England didn’t know the name Phil Parkinson.
Well, not unless they lived in or around Bradford, where Parkinson managed the hard-fightin’ Bradford City Bantams.
Bradford, by the way, is up in the northern reaches of the country. Not North like Newcastle-north – Newcastle is practically Scotland on the map – but north as in Leeds-north. Bradford is just a short drive West of Leeds.
At any rate, here’s what Parkinson had to say about Tuesday massive upset; his fourth-tier side took down Arsenal in a Carling Cup quarterfinal:
I don’t think the enormity of our achievement has quite sunk in. When get up in the morning and see the headlines in the newspapers they will realize what they have done…. There is a big gulf between the two teams in terms of finances and places in the divisions.
Arsenal have played their best team and we were three minutes away from beating them, then we have had the setback of conceding a goal and had to dig deep again in extra time. … I hope this can be the first of many nights like this for Bradford City. We want to put Bradford on the map again. I want them to have a team to be proud of.”
- Yahoo! reports: Mourinho to sign 4-year deal with Chelsea, will be unveiled June 2 0
- Anyone else think Bayern Munich is playing dirty? 6
- With PSG willing to match Wayne Rooney’s wages, Manchester United has somebody to bail them out 3
- Looking at the United States’ roster ahead of their Canada rematch 1
- A stadium for New York City FC – tougher than you think 9
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC (9)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte