Dec 12, 2012, 5:01 PM EST
Livestrong Sporting Park has been a busy, busy place over the last two week, as the Sporting Kansas City deciders are twisting and tweaking the personnel knobs.
Some of it has been forced upon them, but still …
They had to wave bye-bye to Roger Espinoza, who has all but signed on the dotted line for English Premier League welterweight Wigan Athletic. And they made the tough call to release aging midfield screener Julio Cesar, who was effective in his role although surely limited.
Then dropped the important news Wednesday that center back Matt Besler has been re-signed. While Feilhaber is the more evocative (and in some circles flummoxing) figure, adding years onto Besler’s time around Livestrong Sporting Park may one day be seen as the bigger achievement of a hectic December of 2012.
Besler (pictured) was quality goods in 2011, gaining an All-Star berth, albeit with assistance from a curiously high degree of ballot stuffing. But the Best XI spot in 2012 was earned by steady and strong performance on the field, and Jurgen Klinsmann has recently mentioned Besler in the big lump of potential up-and-comers at the center back position.
Plus, he’s a hometown kid, which is always a check mark for fans. So the suits of SKC should feel free to pat themselves on the back for that one.
Now comes word that Sporting Kansas City has added Ike Opara from San Jose for a 2013 second-round draft pick (which will be No. 36 overall, not an area where future MLS stars are typically located.)
Opara has never found the magic dust of stardom that so many predicted when he was taken No. 3 overall in 2010. Injuries had something to do with his life in the slow lane of MLS progress. Still, 22 stars in three seasons at Buck Shaw say something went wrong along the way, something more than injury, in all likelihood.
But he doesn’t need to be a star at Livestrong – just reliable cover for Besler, Aurelien Collin and Lawrence Olum going into a busy year for SKC, one that will include a U.S. Open Cup defense and participation in the CONCACAF Champions League.
So it’s busy times around Livestrong, where the 2012 Eastern Conference champs seem in a big hurry to improve further in 2013.
Dec 20, 2013, 8:10 AM EST
Cardiff boss expected to be fired, as owner Vincent Tan shocks English soccer with appalling behavior:
Dec 20, 2013, 7:25 AM EST
Top teams across Europe scrambling to get AVB on board:
Dec 19, 2013, 11:05 PM EST
They couldn’t wait until January. Swansea’s goalkeeper had to go under the knife as soon as possible.
Dec 19, 2013, 10:01 PM EST
Simple, cheap, and already in wide use. Giving the okay to vanishing spray was an obvious choice.
Dec 19, 2013, 8:54 PM EST
SI.com tabs the NBC studio host as this year’s best newcomer.
Dec 19, 2013, 7:33 PM EST
Six serious injuries but no casualties resulted tonight’s near-miss in Bekal.
Dec 19, 2013, 6:39 PM EST
U.S. Soccer’s 56-member panel as selected the program’s Best XI to celebrate the federation’s centennial.
Dec 19, 2013, 4:49 PM EST
Bluebird ownership is pushing the Scottish boss out the door, with a Monday email leaving Mackay’s departure practically inevitable.
Dec 19, 2013, 3:34 PM EST
The Western Conference champs kept it in-house, ensuring the team’s core philosophies will be in place come 2014.
Dec 19, 2013, 2:40 PM EST
With a victory, Liverpool will climb to the top of the Premier League table.
Dec 19, 2013, 2:00 PM EST
“My only conclusion is you have a business guy operating the club who knows absolutely nothing about football,” Rodgers said.
Dec 19, 2013, 1:20 PM EST
“It’s important to continue in the direction I set out on, which is to be in Europe,” Bradley said.
Dec 19, 2013, 12:10 PM EST
Might Google be the next big player in the battle for soccer broadcast rights? John Ourand thinks so.
Dec 19, 2013, 11:20 AM EST
The Football Association chairman Greg Dyke says Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere needs to grow up a bit.
Dec 19, 2013, 10:32 AM EST
While supporters and neutrals alike can’t help but dream of a March 2nd all-Manchester final, Jonny Evans is staying grounded.
Dec 19, 2013, 9:42 AM EST
So don’t let Rodgers’ passiveness fool you. Liverpool is pressing to lock Suarez down until kingdom come.
Dec 19, 2013, 9:01 AM EST
Go ahead and cross Andres Iniesta’s name off your club’s holiday wish-list.
Dec 19, 2013, 8:20 AM EST
“This is very bad for the team but there are a lot of players who want to play,” Dzeko said.
Dec 18, 2013, 11:39 PM EST
Chelsea has a problem. They must. The solution, however, is harder to find.
Dec 18, 2013, 9:56 PM EST
Two games or one? Arsenal’s going to make the case for the lighter punishment, according to Wednesday’s reports.
- Hamm, Wambach, Morgan lead U.S. Soccer’s all-time women’s best XI (but no Solo, Milbrett) 9
- Manchester derby in cards for League Cup final 1
- Brendan Rodgers cool on re-signing Luis Suarez to a new deal 2
- Abby Wambach’s 2011 goal against Brazil voted best moment in U.S. Soccer history 3
- Young’s blast, Evra’s insurance see Manchester United into League Cup semifinals 0
- Late Jarvis, Maiga goals see West Ham past Tottenham, into League Cup semifinals 2
- Report: Clint Dempsey will join Fulham on Jan. 1 for two-month loan (12)
- Spurs in hunt for new boss after sacking Andre Villas-Boas (10)
- Hamm, Wambach, Morgan lead U.S. Soccer’s all-time women’s best XI (but no Solo, Milbrett) (9)
- Mexico’s Monterrey dumped out of FIFA Club World Cup (7)
- Rafa Marquez about to re-connect with MLS (7)
- Hodgson's Manaus Plan is Flawed
- Wilmer Cabrera on WC Draw: ''It's an Even Group''
- Germany Building Training Facility in Brazil
- Spain Thinking of US Camp Before World Cup
- Don't count out Chile in WC Group B
- Kicking it Off with a Final
- VIDEO: Visa World Cup Promo
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Klinsmann Shouldn't Have Been Re-signed Before WC
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit