Dec 13, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT
You know what two things make a good team? Never being satisfied and getting better constantly. Cliches, but also true.
After a relatively listless 2-0 victory over China Saturday night, the United States women’s national team came into Houston’s BBVA Compass Stadium with something to prove.
And they did, pasting the Chinese 4-0.
After the match, the squad’s stars spoke about how they wanted to get better, and how they do when they play the same team over and over again.
“The more we play teams, the more we learn about their weaknesses. China’s a good team, but I also think that we’re better. I think that we create so many different types of chances, and it’s really difficult to defend against,” Abby Wambach said after scoring two goals. She now sits eight away from Mia Hamm’s international record of 158.
Megan Rapinoe, a substitute who whipped in a beautiful corner to Carli Lloyd, echoed the thoughts of her teammate. “I think we played a little bit quicker. I think we kind of sat on it in the first game,” she said.
Lloyd, making her 150th appearance, met Rapinoe’s service in the 62nd minute and put it into the back of the net. It was a play the United States, still the No. 1 team in the world, worked on over and over again. “Since they zone mark on corners, we’ve been emphasizing hitting the ball to the far post,” she said. It’s like they knew what was going to happen. Game, set, match.
Preparation is how you outshot a team 24-3 and win 4-0. And let’s not forget that this is a squad without a true head coach. Just imagine what will happen when Tom Sermanni arrives.
But don’t take our word about the desire to get better. Watch the women speak fo’ yo’self below:
- PST Extra: Who are the Premier League’s top offseason acquisitions so far? (video) 0
- Premier League defenders: Who’s in our Top Five? And how to choose just five? 5
- Maps, rivals, stadiums: Location of all 20 Premier League teams for 2015-16 season 4
- On his way out of PSG, should Arsenal or Manchester United sign Zlatan Ibrahimovic? 1
- Tuesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Rose to Chelsea, Traore to Liverpool 1
- AZ Alkmaar agree to sell USMNT forward Aron Johannsson to Werder Bremen 3