Dec 13, 2012, 1:45 PM EDT
The Caleb Porter era in the Pacific Northwest continues to go full steam ahead. The Portland Timbers are reportedly making a run at Mix Diskerud.
The midfielder, who spent yesterday at the Grand Canyon, just finished up a successful season with Norwegian side Rosenborg, but he’s headed elsewhere. He’s a hot commodity; one potential suitor, Terrence Boyd’s Rapid Vienna, already gave up in their effort to secure his services because of the competition.
Porter is familiar with Diskerud from his time on the U-23 squad. The coach started the 22 year old in all three of the Olympic qualification games in Nashville, and Diskerud played well despite the team’s failure to reach the 2012 Olympics.
He’s also a rising star on the senior team. Jurgen Klinsmann called the midfielder to Russia, and he tallied the game-tying goal.
Diskerud coming to the United States would be a coup for Portland, but perhaps a bigger one for MLS. He’s one of the most creative bright young stars in the USMNT camp. It would say a lot about the growing quality of the league — and the competitive salaries — if Diskerud chose to leave Europe for America. Bonus: he’s probably used to playing on turf after his time in Norway.
Should it happen, the acquisition is not going to help Merritt Paulson’s fledging “all Johnson” team, but in every other regard it would be a great move for the Timbers, MLS, and the United States soccer fanbase.
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers 6
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 8
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? 24
- Champions League Final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 0
- NWSL Game of the Week: Sky Blue FC vs. FC Kansas City 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (24)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final