Dec 13, 2012, 1:45 PM EST
The Caleb Porter era in the Pacific Northwest continues to go full steam ahead. The Portland Timbers are reportedly making a run at Mix Diskerud.
The midfielder, who spent yesterday at the Grand Canyon, just finished up a successful season with Norwegian side Rosenborg, but he’s headed elsewhere. He’s a hot commodity; one potential suitor, Terrence Boyd’s Rapid Vienna, already gave up in their effort to secure his services because of the competition.
Porter is familiar with Diskerud from his time on the U-23 squad. The coach started the 22 year old in all three of the Olympic qualification games in Nashville, and Diskerud played well despite the team’s failure to reach the 2012 Olympics.
He’s also a rising star on the senior team. Jurgen Klinsmann called the midfielder to Russia, and he tallied the game-tying goal.
Diskerud coming to the United States would be a coup for Portland, but perhaps a bigger one for MLS. He’s one of the most creative bright young stars in the USMNT camp. It would say a lot about the growing quality of the league — and the competitive salaries — if Diskerud chose to leave Europe for America. Bonus: he’s probably used to playing on turf after his time in Norway.
Should it happen, the acquisition is not going to help Merritt Paulson’s fledging “all Johnson” team, but in every other regard it would be a great move for the Timbers, MLS, and the United States soccer fanbase.
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 2
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 1
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 4
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 3
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland 4
- WATCH: Can Tottenham stop Luis Suarez and can City beat Arsenal? 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (14)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Group B: No Walk In The Park