Dec 13, 2012, 7:30 AM EST
A fairly glum year around fabled Arsenal might be darker still but for Santi Cazorla, the little Spaniard who has exceeded expectations around the Emirates. Arsenal’s playmaker turns 28 on Thursday.
Past that, on a fairly meager day for soccer birthdays, we can give you Taylor Swift (pictured) – and that’s about all. The American singer turns 23.
Big Important Stories of the Day:
Expect the fallout to be intense over the sorry happenings Wednesday night in Sao Paulo, where the team by the same name was awarded the Copa Sudamericana title on Wednesday after violence broke out inside and outside the stadium. Argentine club Tigre refused to play the second half of the contest in Brazil’s largest city. The “other shoe” falling here is that Sao Paulo and Brazil are scheduled to host World Cup 2014 in less than two years.
So, yes … expect to read more on this one.
Meanwhile, Monterrey’s clash with European champion Chelsea at FIFA’s Club World Cup will steal the early headlines. And you never know when that goal line technology now in use during the tournament in Japan will be called into action.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day: Brian McBride
We’ll have highlights from Wednesday’s U.S. women’s match in Houston.
We’ll have more from the wild scenes in Sao Paulo, plus news from Major League’s Soccer intense, compressed off-season, which will continue to churn.
What you should watch on TV today:
Hopefully we all DVRed that Chelsea-Monterrey clash (played in the pre-dawn hours here). Because otherwise, this is a “slim pickin’s” zone, live soccer-wise.
We’ll leave you with this:
This nasty stuff down in Brazil is truly disturbing. If officials there cannot get hold of one match involving a relatively small club visiting from Argentina, what will come of the far, far larger event set to unfold inside that troubled country in less than two year’s time? Truly, FIFA needs to have a people on the ground right now, looking into all this.
*Always subject to change; you know how it is
Dec 20, 2013, 10:00 AM EST
In the latest PST Extra, JPW and Prindi chat about Sherwood’s potential, a massive London derby and Guzan vs. Cameron:
Dec 20, 2013, 8:56 AM EST
Star striker signs lengthy new deal to hand Liverpool huge boost:
Dec 20, 2013, 8:32 AM EST
Get ready, “Fulhamerica” is about to be back on the map as Dempsey finalizes loan switch:
Dec 20, 2013, 8:10 AM EST
Cardiff boss expected to be fired, as owner Vincent Tan shocks English soccer with appalling behavior:
Dec 20, 2013, 7:25 AM EST
Top teams across Europe scrambling to get AVB on board:
Dec 19, 2013, 11:05 PM EST
They couldn’t wait until January. Swansea’s goalkeeper had to go under the knife as soon as possible.
Dec 19, 2013, 10:01 PM EST
Simple, cheap, and already in wide use. Giving the okay to vanishing spray was an obvious choice.
Dec 19, 2013, 8:54 PM EST
SI.com tabs the NBC studio host as this year’s best newcomer.
Dec 19, 2013, 7:33 PM EST
Six serious injuries but no casualties resulted tonight’s near-miss in Bekal.
Dec 19, 2013, 6:39 PM EST
U.S. Soccer’s 56-member panel as selected the program’s Best XI to celebrate the federation’s centennial.
Dec 19, 2013, 4:49 PM EST
Bluebird ownership is pushing the Scottish boss out the door, with a Monday email leaving Mackay’s departure practically inevitable.
Dec 19, 2013, 3:34 PM EST
The Western Conference champs kept it in-house, ensuring the team’s core philosophies will be in place come 2014.
Dec 19, 2013, 2:40 PM EST
With a victory, Liverpool will climb to the top of the Premier League table.
Dec 19, 2013, 2:00 PM EST
“My only conclusion is you have a business guy operating the club who knows absolutely nothing about football,” Rodgers said.
Dec 19, 2013, 1:20 PM EST
“It’s important to continue in the direction I set out on, which is to be in Europe,” Bradley said.
Dec 19, 2013, 12:10 PM EST
Might Google be the next big player in the battle for soccer broadcast rights? John Ourand thinks so.
Dec 19, 2013, 11:20 AM EST
The Football Association chairman Greg Dyke says Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere needs to grow up a bit.
Dec 19, 2013, 10:32 AM EST
While supporters and neutrals alike can’t help but dream of a March 2nd all-Manchester final, Jonny Evans is staying grounded.
Dec 19, 2013, 9:42 AM EST
So don’t let Rodgers’ passiveness fool you. Liverpool is pressing to lock Suarez down until kingdom come.
Dec 19, 2013, 9:01 AM EST
Go ahead and cross Andres Iniesta’s name off your club’s holiday wish-list.
- Luis Suarez signs new long-term deal at Liverpool 1
- Clint Dempsey undergoes medical at Fulham ahead of loan move from Seattle Sounders 0
- Hamm, Wambach, Morgan lead U.S. Soccer’s all-time women’s best XI (but no Solo, Milbrett) 9
- Manchester derby in cards for League Cup final 1
- Brendan Rodgers cool on re-signing Luis Suarez to a new deal 2
- Abby Wambach’s 2011 goal against Brazil voted best moment in U.S. Soccer history 3
- Report: Clint Dempsey will join Fulham on Jan. 1 for two-month loan (12)
- Spurs in hunt for new boss after sacking Andre Villas-Boas (10)
- Hamm, Wambach, Morgan lead U.S. Soccer’s all-time women’s best XI (but no Solo, Milbrett) (9)
- Mexico’s Monterrey dumped out of FIFA Club World Cup (7)
- Rafa Marquez about to re-connect with MLS (7)
- Hodgson's Manaus Plan is Flawed
- Wilmer Cabrera on WC Draw: ''It's an Even Group''
- Germany Building Training Facility in Brazil
- Spain Thinking of US Camp Before World Cup
- Don't count out Chile in WC Group B
- Kicking it Off with a Final
- VIDEO: Visa World Cup Promo
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Klinsmann Shouldn't Have Been Re-signed Before WC
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit