Dec 14, 2012, 10:37 AM EST
Stage 2 of Major League Soccer’s Re-Entry draft is set for today, and there is some intriguing talent available. The biggest names in the Re-Entry hopper: Chivas USA’s Juan Pablo Angel and Danny Califf, Dallas’ Julian de Guzman and Kevin Hartman and Colorado’s Conor Casey.
Established in 2010 as part of the league’s new Collective Bargaining Agreement, the Re-Entry Draft was drawn up to provide veteran players some limited form of movement within the league.
The process does assist veteran players, but the first two versions have shown fairly limited value in terms of actually stocking rosters. Last year’s Re-Entry process helped Marc Burch find a place in Seattle, where he contributed regularly to the Sounders strong season.
And Clyde Simms sure benefited, starting 29 games for New England, which took him in the process last year. Otherwise, Hunter Freeman started 18 games for Colorado, Andrew Boyens and Pat Noonan (Los Angeles) got some games here and there. That’s about it.
The draft happens today at 3 p.m. ET.
- Manchester United 3-1 Leicester City: Red Devils up to third 0
- Liverpool 2-0 West Ham United: Coutinho shines, Sturridge scores in return 0
- Watch Live: Chelsea vs. Manchester City (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- Watch Live: Liverpool vs. West Ham United (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- Watch Live: Manchester United vs. Leicester City (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- Premier League transfer needs: What’s been done and what’s left to do by Monday? 1