Dec 14, 2012, 10:37 AM EDT
Stage 2 of Major League Soccer’s Re-Entry draft is set for today, and there is some intriguing talent available. The biggest names in the Re-Entry hopper: Chivas USA’s Juan Pablo Angel and Danny Califf, Dallas’ Julian de Guzman and Kevin Hartman and Colorado’s Conor Casey.
Established in 2010 as part of the league’s new Collective Bargaining Agreement, the Re-Entry Draft was drawn up to provide veteran players some limited form of movement within the league.
The process does assist veteran players, but the first two versions have shown fairly limited value in terms of actually stocking rosters. Last year’s Re-Entry process helped Marc Burch find a place in Seattle, where he contributed regularly to the Sounders strong season.
And Clyde Simms sure benefited, starting 29 games for New England, which took him in the process last year. Otherwise, Hunter Freeman started 18 games for Colorado, Andrew Boyens and Pat Noonan (Los Angeles) got some games here and there. That’s about it.
The draft happens today at 3 p.m. ET.
- Official: Neymar to join Barcelona 0
- Bayern Munich – Borussia Dortmund: The tactics and the game’s shifting momentum 0
- Bayern Munich 2-1 Borussia Dortmund: Robben the hero, Bayern crowned Champions League winners 4
- Two last points on the Robbie Rogers trade news 1
- Champions League final preview: A bitter rivalry with much higher stakes 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (25)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers (14)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona