Dec 14, 2012, 3:16 PM EDT
When we talk about Rafa Marquez – and we haven’t quite talked about Rafa Marquez enough yet, have we? – a tendency may arise to toss ol’ Rafa atop the “Failed DP” heap.
I don’t see it that way.
He wasn’t a failed DP the way Denilson (FC Dallas) or Mista (Toronto) or Marcelo Gallardo (D.C. United) were. Those guys were paid lots of money but yielded precious little production. They were total talent busts. At root, they represented scouting failures, or signings for the wrong reasons (more about the splash and dash) or reaches born of desperation.
Marquez was talented, hardly past his prime and still equipped with sufficient skill and enough tread on the tires to add something on the field.
Marquez’s issues during his time of turbulence was all about high jinx and silliness. He was never guilty of “shooting yourself with your own gun in a nightclub” kind of stuff. Nor did Marquez’s naughtiness drift into darker areas that we see with pro athletes, domestic abuse or doping and such.
His problem was never being “all in” for the club. And $4.6 million in annual salary really should buy you an “all in” guy in MLS. (League deciders, please do take note of that for future references.)
Marquez undercut the Red Bulls’ larger ambition with totally unnecessary and selfish nincompoopery. Who could forget the absolutely disgraceful, disrespectful incident following a 2011 playoff contest against Los Angles? Marquez threw a ball at Landon Donovan, tried to start a fight and then flopped to the ground in a badly acted gambit that fooled absolutely no one.
It was an unholy trinity of destructive tomfoolery; Indignation and a deserved suspension ensued.
Nick Firchau summed it all up nicely in this piece:
The biggest problem with Márquez was that any individual moments of brilliance on the field were overshadowed by his periodic willingness to undercut his teammates, incite a childish physical altercation on the field and effectively undermine what the league has tried to build for 17 years.
So, no, I wouldn’t add Marquez’s name to the list of fabulously failed DPs – not in the way we typically describe these fallen figures.
Still, the place where DPs and failure collide is always a topic worth exploring; it’s the whole train wreck thing, how we can’t help but watch one.
So Graham Parker looks at the level of failure in Marquez’s days and nights of tumult around Red Bull Arena.
Jun 19, 2013, 11:05 PM EDT
MONTCLAIR, N.J. – Thursday’s United States women’s national team match falls smack in the middle of the inaugural National Women’s Soccer League season. It’s a friendly. It’s against the same team, Korea Republic, that the United States just handily defeated 4-1 on Saturday. But its relevance is critical, particularly to Abby Wambach – and for…
Jun 19, 2013, 10:21 PM EDT
Among the many assets in Jurgen Klinsmann’s portfolio, few are trending down.
Jun 19, 2013, 8:44 PM EDT
Confederations Cup completely worth it when it provides matches like these.
Jun 19, 2013, 7:35 PM EDT
There’re no shortage of players to praise after the U.S. completes a nine-out-of-nine run.
Jun 19, 2013, 6:47 PM EDT
Most U.S. players were still in the locker room an hour after final whistle Tuesday … watching a basketball game. Hmmm.
Jun 19, 2013, 5:58 PM EDT
Even while struggling, LA’s still the standard, but can they turn things around enough to keep Portland from the top of the West.
Jun 19, 2013, 5:25 PM EDT
Neymar’s show compounded problems for CONCACAF’s champions.
Jun 19, 2013, 4:52 PM EDT
The 42-year-old American revealed he is taking coaching courses to prepare for whenever his career is over.
Jun 19, 2013, 4:17 PM EDT
Some of those old issues of communication and understanding between Jones and Michael Bradley were on display once again in Utah:
Jun 19, 2013, 3:32 PM EDT
Montréal can open a gap atop the East with a win tonight. If Houston springs the upset, they’ll be within one point of the conference leaders.
Jun 19, 2013, 2:44 PM EDT
He didn’t exactly say much, but Pepe Reina’s club is Liverpool – at least, right now.
Jun 19, 2013, 12:04 PM EDT
Cameras caught a message from Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea, could it foreshadow a move?
Jun 19, 2013, 11:22 AM EDT
Fabio Capello is the latest manager to say “no” to the defending Ligue 1 champions.
Jun 19, 2013, 10:23 AM EDT
Liverpool take a huge net loss on the 24-year-old while West Ham set their transfer fee record.
Jun 19, 2013, 9:48 AM EDT
Tragedy struck Chivas USA’s youth squad Monday night.
Jun 19, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT
At the call of fans and media alike, the FA Cup final at Wembley will return to its post-league date.
Jun 19, 2013, 8:35 AM EDT
The United States had the perfect lineup to slowly whittle away at the Honduras defense before it finally broke.
Jun 19, 2013, 7:45 AM EDT
The 24-year-old American has found a new team after spending 5 seasons at Villa Park.
- Stock Falling: Which U.S. players’ statures are slipping … 1
- Get to your DVRs as soon as possible, because that Italy-Japan match was a classic 1
- Stock Rising: United States men whose values are rising out of Salt Lake 1
- MLS Preview: Portland Timbers at LA Galaxy 0
- Goal, assist from Neymar give Brazil win, prolong Mexico’s woes 2
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team (29)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Orlando City dumps Sporting Kansas City out of U.S. Open Cup, extend unbeaten streak to 14 matches (13)
- It’s time FIFA reconsiders the Confederations Cup bid to the Oceania region (13)
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public