Dec 14, 2012, 9:32 AM EST
Frank Lampard, a fixture of Chelsea’s midfield for 12 years, will apparently finish his acclaimed tenure at Stamford Bridge over the next few months.
This is not exactly set in London stone, but the 34-year-old midfielder’s contract is up this summer and the team has no interest in re-signing the longtime English international.
Not even for a one-year contract, it seems.
Said Lampard, who is in Japan with the Blues for Saturday’s FIFA Club World Cup final against Brazil’s Corinthians:
I’m a Chelsea player but at the minute nothing else has been said. Talks about a one-year or two-year extension don’t exist because nothing has been said and nothing is planned, as far as I know. There have been no talks about anything or about an extension.
“The ball is in Chelsea’s court. I feel like I have two or three years at least in me at the top level but it is not for me to decide on this one. It’s up to the club. Whatever happens, I have had a great time at Chelsea. Maybe things don’t last forever, although I want it to.
Lampard has been linked with the Los Angeles Galaxy for months, although an MLS source told me during MLS Cup week in Southern California that the Galaxy’s interest was minimal.
Would this change things? As Lampard will clearly be available on a free transfer this summer, that might just change the equation.
It might not be Los Angeles – the Galaxy might figure they used up all their luck with mid-30-something English midfielders – but there are surely MLS sides that would love them some Lampard in the midfield.
- UEFA Champions League recap: Man United, Bayern join Real, PSG as group winners 0
- Where They Stand: Who’s in, who’s out after Tuesday’s UEFA Champions League action 0
- A dreaded World Cup draw having arrived, Jurgen Klinsmann’s transformative efforts are about to pay off 2
- Manchester City comeback ends Bayern Munich’s record run; defending champions still win Group D 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (20)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (15)
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit