Dec 14, 2012, 9:32 AM EDT
Frank Lampard, a fixture of Chelsea’s midfield for 12 years, will apparently finish his acclaimed tenure at Stamford Bridge over the next few months.
This is not exactly set in London stone, but the 34-year-old midfielder’s contract is up this summer and the team has no interest in re-signing the longtime English international.
Not even for a one-year contract, it seems.
Said Lampard, who is in Japan with the Blues for Saturday’s FIFA Club World Cup final against Brazil’s Corinthians:
I’m a Chelsea player but at the minute nothing else has been said. Talks about a one-year or two-year extension don’t exist because nothing has been said and nothing is planned, as far as I know. There have been no talks about anything or about an extension.
“The ball is in Chelsea’s court. I feel like I have two or three years at least in me at the top level but it is not for me to decide on this one. It’s up to the club. Whatever happens, I have had a great time at Chelsea. Maybe things don’t last forever, although I want it to.
Lampard has been linked with the Los Angeles Galaxy for months, although an MLS source told me during MLS Cup week in Southern California that the Galaxy’s interest was minimal.
Would this change things? As Lampard will clearly be available on a free transfer this summer, that might just change the equation.
It might not be Los Angeles – the Galaxy might figure they used up all their luck with mid-30-something English midfielders – but there are surely MLS sides that would love them some Lampard in the midfield.
- Two last points on the Robbie Rogers trade news 0
- Champions League final preview: A bitter rivalry with much higher stakes 0
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 11
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? 25
- Champions League Final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 1
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (25)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers (12)
- Follow LIVE: Champions League final
- Live box score: UEFA Champions League final
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona