Frank Lampard, anyone? Because Chelsea doesn’t want him

Dec 14, 2012, 9:32 AM EDT

(FILES) In this photo taken on November

Frank Lampard, a fixture of Chelsea’s midfield for 12 years, will apparently finish his acclaimed tenure at Stamford Bridge over the next few months.

This is not exactly set in London stone, but the 34-year-old midfielder’s contract is up this summer and the team has no interest in re-signing the longtime English international.

Not even for a one-year contract, it seems.

Said Lampard, who is in Japan with the Blues for Saturday’s FIFA Club World Cup final against Brazil’s Corinthians:

I’m a Chelsea player but at the minute nothing else has been said. Talks about a one-year or two-year extension don’t exist because nothing has been said and nothing is planned, as far as I know. There have been no talks about anything or about an extension.

“The ball is in Chelsea’s court. I feel like I have two or three years at least in me at the top level but it is not for me to decide on this one. It’s up to the club. Whatever happens, I have had a great time at Chelsea. Maybe things don’t last forever, although I want it to.

Lampard has been linked with the Los Angeles Galaxy for months, although an MLS source told me during MLS Cup week in Southern California that the Galaxy’s interest was minimal.

Would this change things? As Lampard will clearly be available on a free transfer this summer, that might just change the equation.

It might not be Los Angeles – the Galaxy might figure they used up all their luck with mid-30-something English midfielders – but there are surely MLS sides that would love them some Lampard in the midfield.

1. tchaikicksky - Dec 14, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Steve,

What chances are there that any other team besides LA or NY signs a guy like Lampard? Is DC that tough of a market? Come on Frank, go with the Red and Black!

• Steve Davis - Dec 14, 2012 at 11:12 AM

I think chances are fairly good that someone wants Lampard … the question is what he wants. Because he can possibly go “Didier Drogba” and take bigger money in China or elsewhere …

2. 1trojanlove - Dec 14, 2012 at 11:28 AM

As a galaxy fan I hope Lampard and Kaka both come over if Landon decides to leave. Lampard for Beckham and kaka for Landon…

3. dfstell - Dec 14, 2012 at 1:23 PM

As a Galaxy fan, I can’t say I’m that excited by the prospect of having Lampard. He’s 34 and whereas Beckham was always able to keep himself relevant via set-pieces, I think Lampard in a year or so could be pretty rough.

4. metroplexfrog - Dec 15, 2012 at 8:44 AM

I hope he stays at Chelsea. He should finish his career as a Blue.

Week 5: Top five Premier League goals