Dec 14, 2012, 11:06 AM EDT
I have to say, I’m not a huge fan of the chosen name for announced Thursday for Portland’s entry in the women’s professional soccer league: Portland Thorns FC.
Does anybody, man or woman, want to be known as a “Thorn?”
I get it, though. Portland … Rose City … Roses … Thorns …
Plus, owner Merritt Paulson wanted to mimic the initials of his Major League Soccer team, PTFC. So there’s that.
I also know that names, nicknames, logos, mascots, etc., can be good or bad – but fans generally embrace and take ownership. It’s a little like criticizing someone in your own family; you can do it, but nobody else can.
So the tribal allegiances, especially in a place like Portland, will ensure that Portland Thorns catch on. I have little doubt that Portland will be fine in terms of support for the new women’s association, relative to the upstart league’s overall level of patronage and interest.
Oh, I also really like the short video Portland used to introduce its new logo. Well done, folks! Here’s the video:
- PST Extra: Who are the Premier League’s top offseason acquisitions so far? (video) 0
- Premier League defenders: Who’s in our Top Five? And how to choose just five? 5
- Maps, rivals, stadiums: Location of all 20 Premier League teams for 2015-16 season 4
- On his way out of PSG, should Arsenal or Manchester United sign Zlatan Ibrahimovic? 1
- Tuesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Rose to Chelsea, Traore to Liverpool 1
- AZ Alkmaar agree to sell USMNT forward Aron Johannsson to Werder Bremen 3