Dec 14, 2012, 11:06 AM EST
I have to say, I’m not a huge fan of the chosen name for announced Thursday for Portland’s entry in the women’s professional soccer league: Portland Thorns FC.
Does anybody, man or woman, want to be known as a “Thorn?”
I get it, though. Portland … Rose City … Roses … Thorns …
Plus, owner Merritt Paulson wanted to mimic the initials of his Major League Soccer team, PTFC. So there’s that.
I also know that names, nicknames, logos, mascots, etc., can be good or bad – but fans generally embrace and take ownership. It’s a little like criticizing someone in your own family; you can do it, but nobody else can.
So the tribal allegiances, especially in a place like Portland, will ensure that Portland Thorns catch on. I have little doubt that Portland will be fine in terms of support for the new women’s association, relative to the upstart league’s overall level of patronage and interest.
Oh, I also really like the short video Portland used to introduce its new logo. Well done, folks! Here’s the video:
- What to expect as USA, Premier League star Geoff Cameron joins ProSoccerTalk 0
- FIFA saga takes new twist: World Cup corruption report to be reviewed 0
- VOTE – Best choice for MLS expansion: Las Vegas, Sacramento or Minneapolis? 16
- Manchester United’s Radamel Falcao suffers new injury setback 0
- Mats Hummels to Manchester United rumors persist. Can it happen in January? 1
- Report: Arsenal have deal in place to sign Chelsea’s Petr Cech 1