Tim Howard playing into his 40s? Don’t bet on it

Dec 14, 2012, 6:51 PM EDT

Tim Howard 2

Don’t look for Tim Howard to go all “Brad Friedel” in terms of playing into his 40s. Probably not, anyway.

Howard is set to make his 200th consecutive EPL appearance Saturday as Everton braces to face Stoke City.

Howard is 33, and the U.S. No. 1 in goal clearly still has plenty of good years left. But will be throwing the big Tim Howard gloves around when he’s 41. Friedel, of course, is 41. And he’s still standing tall in goal at the highest level (although Friedel has, apparently, finally lost the top spot for Spurs – which we all pretty much knew was coming sooner or later).

Howard just told Goal.com that he doesn’t see that happening.

Me personally, no. I have some things that I want to do, some goals that I want to accomplish outside of the game. It’s not something that I see myself doing.”

“Having said that if you’re fit and ready to take on the world, you feel you can still do it. I’m sure there’s a side of me that would still want to. But at 33 years old right now, I look at it and say it’s not for me.”

Howard was 19 when he made his first start for the New York MetroStars back in 1998. So, he’s already into a 15th year as a professional.

That means Howard could play until he’s “only” 38 and have an absolutely fantastic 20-year career.

1. drmonkeyarmy - Dec 15, 2012 at 1:08 PM

He won’t be good enough to play into his 40s. He is already showing serious signs of slipping. I think it is a very real possibility that Guzan takes the US #1 from him by 2014. Unless he starts showing better form, he might find himself as the Everton #2 come January.

• lessthanthreeefc - Dec 17, 2012 at 12:24 PM

There is no way Jan Mucha would play over Howard, no matter how bad his form is. They have no real backup goalie as of now.

• drmonkeyarmy - Dec 17, 2012 at 11:50 PM

I agree. They don’t really have another choice right now. I was trying to imply that Moyes would hit the transfer market in January.

• btrocco - Dec 18, 2012 at 8:32 AM

You’re kidding, right? Have you been watching ANY USMNT matches? Howard is the best defender on the US squad. Please don’t advocate change for change sake. Howard has that spot locked down – for good reason – at least through 2014.

• drmonkeyarmy - Dec 18, 2012 at 8:41 AM

I am not kidding. I have watched numerous matches…both for USMNT and Everton. His play has slipped substantially. If he doesn’t pick up his play for Everton, he will find himself as #2 at Everton. Moyes can flat out and said he will be looking for keepers to challenge Howard in January. If he ends up being the Everton #2, can Klinsy justify keeping a stale keeper in the line-up?

2. footballer4ever - Dec 15, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Tim Howards is a Beast in the good sense of the word as a footballer. Plenty for kids to look up to into these US National Footballers vs other sports’ “athletes”.

Top five PL goals, Week 1