Dec 14, 2012, 6:51 PM EDT
Don’t look for Tim Howard to go all “Brad Friedel” in terms of playing into his 40s. Probably not, anyway.
Howard is set to make his 200th consecutive EPL appearance Saturday as Everton braces to face Stoke City.
Howard is 33, and the U.S. No. 1 in goal clearly still has plenty of good years left. But will be throwing the big Tim Howard gloves around when he’s 41. Friedel, of course, is 41. And he’s still standing tall in goal at the highest level (although Friedel has, apparently, finally lost the top spot for Spurs – which we all pretty much knew was coming sooner or later).
Howard just told Goal.com that he doesn’t see that happening.
Me personally, no. I have some things that I want to do, some goals that I want to accomplish outside of the game. It’s not something that I see myself doing.”
“Having said that if you’re fit and ready to take on the world, you feel you can still do it. I’m sure there’s a side of me that would still want to. But at 33 years old right now, I look at it and say it’s not for me.”
Howard was 19 when he made his first start for the New York MetroStars back in 1998. So, he’s already into a 15th year as a professional.
That means Howard could play until he’s “only” 38 and have an absolutely fantastic 20-year career.
- Stock Falling: Which U.S. players’ statures are slipping … 1
- Get to your DVRs as soon as possible, because that Italy-Japan match was a classic 1
- Stock Rising: United States men whose values are rising out of Salt Lake 2
- MLS Preview: Portland Timbers at LA Galaxy 0
- Goal, assist from Neymar give Brazil win, prolong Mexico’s woes 2
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team (29)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Orlando City dumps Sporting Kansas City out of U.S. Open Cup, extend unbeaten streak to 14 matches (13)
- It’s time FIFA reconsiders the Confederations Cup bid to the Oceania region (13)
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public