Dec 14, 2012, 3:53 PM EST
San Jose was the busiest in today’s Stage 2 of Major League Soccer’s Re-Entry Draft, for veteran players whose contracts are out or whose options have been declined.
The Earthquakes have some holes to fill as the salary cap takes a bite from the Earthquakes after their successful, Supporters’ Shield-winning season (a 19-6-9 record). So manager Frank Yallop and GM John Doyle selected three players: defenders Dan Gargan and Ty Harden and midfielder Bryan Jordan.
The more interesting development happened just before Friday’s proceedings, as the two-time reigning MLS Cup champions LA Galaxy moved aggressively to get the man they wanted. Los Angeles gave Chivas USA an international slot in exchange for their No. 2 slot, which the Galaxy used to grab ex-Houston and ex-Colorado midfielder Colin Clark.
The Galaxy also took veteran goalkeeper William Hesmer, the former starter in Columbus who missed all of 2012 due to injury. There can be little question now that Los Angeles has, in fact, lost faith in starter Josh Saunders, as we told you recently.
Speaking of Chivas USA, Toronto had the day’s first selection, using it to take Danny Califf (who will probably by happy to step away from the Goats and all the topsy-turvy going on there.
Conor Casey, out of favor in Colorado, landed in Philadelphia.
The veteran pair left available from FC Dallas, goalkeeper Kevin Hartman and midfielder Julian de Guzman, went unselected.
The complete list of players taken is here.
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Watch Live: Sporting Kansas City at Seattle Sounders (Lineups and discussion) 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- Arsenal 4-1 Everton: Gunners book FA Cup semifinal spot 0
- FIFA Fines Argentine Clubs for Fake Transfers
- Sunderland Boss Poyet Challenges Altidore to Prove Him Wrong
- 3 Hopes and One Fear for Montreal Impact
- Top Four Serie A Teams to Meet in Couple of Crucial Encounters
- Liverpool Eyeing Valencia Midfielder Dani Parejo
- Barca Have $83M for Transfers Plus Funds Raised from Sold Players
- What am I Watching?: The Paradox of the National Team
- Preview: Seattle Sounders vs Sporting Kansas City
- Liga MX Week 10 Round-Up: Toluca Keep Climbing
- New Look Whitecaps Aim to hit Ground Running Against NY Red Bulls