Dec 14, 2012, 3:53 PM EDT
San Jose was the busiest in today’s Stage 2 of Major League Soccer’s Re-Entry Draft, for veteran players whose contracts are out or whose options have been declined.
The Earthquakes have some holes to fill as the salary cap takes a bite from the Earthquakes after their successful, Supporters’ Shield-winning season (a 19-6-9 record). So manager Frank Yallop and GM John Doyle selected three players: defenders Dan Gargan and Ty Harden and midfielder Bryan Jordan.
The more interesting development happened just before Friday’s proceedings, as the two-time reigning MLS Cup champions LA Galaxy moved aggressively to get the man they wanted. Los Angeles gave Chivas USA an international slot in exchange for their No. 2 slot, which the Galaxy used to grab ex-Houston and ex-Colorado midfielder Colin Clark.
The Galaxy also took veteran goalkeeper William Hesmer, the former starter in Columbus who missed all of 2012 due to injury. There can be little question now that Los Angeles has, in fact, lost faith in starter Josh Saunders, as we told you recently.
Speaking of Chivas USA, Toronto had the day’s first selection, using it to take Danny Califf (who will probably by happy to step away from the Goats and all the topsy-turvy going on there.
Conor Casey, out of favor in Colorado, landed in Philadelphia.
The veteran pair left available from FC Dallas, goalkeeper Kevin Hartman and midfielder Julian de Guzman, went unselected.
The complete list of players taken is here.
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers 5
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 7
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? 24
- Champions League Final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 0
- NWSL Game of the Week: Sky Blue FC vs. FC Kansas City 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (24)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Pacers take down Heat in Game 2 to even series
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PHT: NHL to present Coyotes ownership plans
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million