Dec 15, 2012, 2:47 PM EDT
About a month ago, Jozy Altidore regained national team grace as Jurgen Klinsmann recalled the young striker after a brief, well-publicized roster omission in October. Lesson learned, all parties agreed amicably.
Not long after, AZ Alkmaar technical director Earnest Stewart said Premier League clubs were keeping close tabs on Altidore (among other Alkmaar men). Nice, eh?
And things took a serious turn north Saturday for the 23-year-old striker: the U.S. international hit both goals for his Dutch side in a 2-1 win over Zwolle.
Altidore scored straight-away (in the 2nd minute) and had a second 10 minutes before the break. The road win is big for Alkmaar, now in 12th place in the 18-team Dutch Eredivisie, helping keep the club comfortably above the drop zone halfway through its Holland campaign.
If the Premiership does come calling (and a few more days like this one sure won’t hurt), things will hopefully go better for Altidore this time. He scored just once in 28 Premier League appearances previously during a loan to Hull City back in the 2009-10 season.
Here is his second goal Saturday.
- Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney muses on captaincies, laments Liverpool’s strong season 0
- Southampton name former Edmonton Oilers coach its new chairman 0
- Robben and Wenger have war of words in latest Champions League diving debate 0
- Arsenal’s Ozil out for “at least a few weeks” after injury in Champions League 0
- Preview: Barcelona, Manchester City stumble into Champions League second leg; PSG set to rest Ibrahimovic 0
- PST’s Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Week 1 0
- For the Red Bulls, Mistakes are Better Early Than Late
- If Man City Ever Stood a Chance, it’s Right Now
- Strootman Loss Detrimental to Roma
- Rooney Reveals Desire to Captain United and England
- Thistle Manager Sent Off While Playing For His Team's Under-20s
- Is CONCACAF Champions League Format Working Against MLS?
- Disappointing Opener for the Chicago Fire
- Liverpool says Pepe Reina can Leave Permanently for Four Million Pounds
- Sporting KC Sign Antonio Dovale
- Cruz Azul Ready to Continue Good Form in CONCACAF