Dec 15, 2012, 2:47 PM EDT
About a month ago, Jozy Altidore regained national team grace as Jurgen Klinsmann recalled the young striker after a brief, well-publicized roster omission in October. Lesson learned, all parties agreed amicably.
Not long after, AZ Alkmaar technical director Earnest Stewart said Premier League clubs were keeping close tabs on Altidore (among other Alkmaar men). Nice, eh?
And things took a serious turn north Saturday for the 23-year-old striker: the U.S. international hit both goals for his Dutch side in a 2-1 win over Zwolle.
Altidore scored straight-away (in the 2nd minute) and had a second 10 minutes before the break. The road win is big for Alkmaar, now in 12th place in the 18-team Dutch Eredivisie, helping keep the club comfortably above the drop zone halfway through its Holland campaign.
If the Premiership does come calling (and a few more days like this one sure won’t hurt), things will hopefully go better for Altidore this time. He scored just once in 28 Premier League appearances previously during a loan to Hull City back in the 2009-10 season.
Here is his second goal Saturday.
- Talking points on Portland’s 2-2 draw with Vancouver 0
- PSG president confirms Saturday was likely David Beckham’s farewell match 2
- As Alex Ferguson says goodbye, Manchester United’s cupboard remains stocked 0
- Bayern Munich finish German season 25 points ahead of Borussia Dortmund 0
- England’s top four: Games that matter in the English Premier League’s last round 0
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- Live Extra: Watch Game 3 between Sharks, Kings
- NBA: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team
- Play Video: Red Bulls pull off win on the road
- Play Video: Highlights: Montreal extinguish Chicago