Dec 15, 2012, 7:34 AM EDT
It was not so long ago that Queen’s Park Rangers launched a season of worthy ambition. Well-heeled ownership had spent handsomely in an effort to buy their way into Premiership elite. Maybe they could not be Chelsea or even Arsenal, but could they claw up to status somewhere near fellow London side Tottenham?
So it was one of the big talkers of the current Premiership run in September and October when it all came apart so spectacularly around Loftus Road. By late November, Mark Hughes had been kicked to the curb and rehabilitation specialist Harry Redknapp was on board as manager.
And yet, here we are in mid-December, with Redknapp and his boys are still scanning for their first “W” of the 2012-13 Premiership campaign. Last week’s draw at Wigan put the total of games at 16 without a victory, establishing a mark of rank notoriety: poorest start to a Premier League campaign ever.
It may already be too late for hope of top-flight survival, but it there is any shred of hope remaining it really must start today at Loftus Road against London rival Fulham.
Queens Park Rangers sit dead last in the 20-team Premiership. On the other hand, they are but eight points behind Southampton and Aston Villa, and only a point or two further off Sunderland and curiously weak Newcastle.
Then comes Fulham, which has been no great shakes after a surprising launch into the season.
History does not speak well of QPR’s chances today (8 a.m. ET); Fulham have prevailed the last four times these teams have met, including a win at Loftus Road last year and a 6-0 skunking at Craven Cottage.
- Premier League Sunday preview: Manchester United vs. Chelsea headlines 3
- Seattle 2-0 L.A. Galaxy: Pappa the hero again, Sounders win 1st Shield 3
- Premier League roundup: Arsenal, Saints win, Manchester City stunned (video) 0
- Real Madrid 3-1 Barcelona: Real win El Clasico, Suarez returns 5
- Sunderland 0-2 Arsenal: Sanchez seals win after horrendous defending (video) 0
- VIDEO: Russell Brand crashes Sam Allardyce’s presser with a huge kiss 3