Dec 15, 2012, 9:32 AM EST
For a bunch with no professional league to fill the gaps between international matches, the women’s national teamers certainly have managed to keep busy through 2012.
The schedule, which commenced in January with Olympic qualifying, finally comes to a close Saturday in Florida, match No. 31 for 2012.
Abby Wambach, Alex Morgan and their teammates host China at Florida Atlantic University Stadium in Boca Raton, Fla., capping their 10-game Fan Tribute Tour and the hustling, successful 2012 calendar year.
The match (7 p.m. ET kickoff) is on NBC Sports Network and Univision Deportes Network. Points to note on this one:
- The team is 26-1-3 this year. (And there was a small matter of an Olympic Gold Medal along the 2012 way.)
- Alex Morgan (28 goals) and Abby Wambach (25 goals) have combined for 53 goals this year, second most from any strike combo in the program’s history. Michelle Akers and Carin Jennings combined for 55 in 1991. Akers’ 39 goals that year established the individual record.
- The Americans will look for their fifth consecutive shutout tonight in Florida; last goal conceded by Christie Rampone’s back line: two to Germany in a 2-2 draw back in late October.
- Rampone, the team captain, will move past Mia Hamm tonight for second place among all-time U.S. appearance leaders. Assuming she plays, this will be Rampone’s 276th cap. Kristine Lilly is the all-time leader with 352, a mark that looks safe enough.
- Chances for the upset tonight? Not great. The United States has a 19-game unbeaten streak against visitors, a streak dating back to 2003.
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 12 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Chelsea, Everton, Manchester City 0
- These deserving nominees are the biggest snubs of MLS Award season 3
- Former Man Utd teammates Welbeck, Rooney prepares for “weird” match as Arsenal hosts Red Devils 0
- What to expect as USA, Premier League star Geoff Cameron joins ProSoccerTalk 1
- FIFA saga takes new twist: World Cup corruption report to be reviewed 0