Dec 15, 2012, 9:32 AM EDT
For a bunch with no professional league to fill the gaps between international matches, the women’s national teamers certainly have managed to keep busy through 2012.
The schedule, which commenced in January with Olympic qualifying, finally comes to a close Saturday in Florida, match No. 31 for 2012.
Abby Wambach, Alex Morgan and their teammates host China at Florida Atlantic University Stadium in Boca Raton, Fla., capping their 10-game Fan Tribute Tour and the hustling, successful 2012 calendar year.
The match (7 p.m. ET kickoff) is on NBC Sports Network and Univision Deportes Network. Points to note on this one:
- The team is 26-1-3 this year. (And there was a small matter of an Olympic Gold Medal along the 2012 way.)
- Alex Morgan (28 goals) and Abby Wambach (25 goals) have combined for 53 goals this year, second most from any strike combo in the program’s history. Michelle Akers and Carin Jennings combined for 55 in 1991. Akers’ 39 goals that year established the individual record.
- The Americans will look for their fifth consecutive shutout tonight in Florida; last goal conceded by Christie Rampone’s back line: two to Germany in a 2-2 draw back in late October.
- Rampone, the team captain, will move past Mia Hamm tonight for second place among all-time U.S. appearance leaders. Assuming she plays, this will be Rampone’s 276th cap. Kristine Lilly is the all-time leader with 352, a mark that looks safe enough.
- Chances for the upset tonight? Not great. The United States has a 19-game unbeaten streak against visitors, a streak dating back to 2003.
Apr 24, 2014, 12:40 PM EDT
Now with Moyes out and Ryan Giggs in as interim manager, the banner has been removed from Old Trafford.
Manchester United have two transfer deals provisionally in place – Cavani, Shaw, Fabregas all on radar
Apr 24, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
This is all the calm before the storm that will be Manchester United’s summer of 2014.
Apr 24, 2014, 10:52 AM EDT
If van Gaal is appointed United boss, Jose Mourinho will have some competition for best post-match sound in the 2014/15 Premier League.
Apr 24, 2014, 9:59 AM EDT
For Chelsea, the Liverpool match represents, well, a headache, apparently.
Apr 24, 2014, 9:17 AM EDT
So bad you have to see it. That’s the only was to describe Spain’s official World Cup anthem.
Apr 24, 2014, 8:08 AM EDT
Where, exactly, Moyes’ future lies next is a topic of some debate.
Apr 24, 2014, 12:36 AM EDT
Mariano Pavone’s first half goal in Toluca delivered La Maquina a record-breaking title.
Apr 23, 2014, 11:56 PM EDT
The Red Bulls’ slow start is quickly becoming a distant memory as New York posted a 4-0 win over visiting Houston.
Apr 23, 2014, 8:26 PM EDT
A future star makes a quick impact as Washington puts week one behind them.
Apr 23, 2014, 5:55 PM EDT
Ronaldo pronounced fit; Benzema breaks through, and Casillas stones Götze.
Apr 23, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Incredible plans to expand Anfield revealed, as public will now have their say:
Apr 23, 2014, 4:51 PM EDT
Tedious Tiki-Taka, counter-attacking clinic and gilt-edge chances:
Apr 23, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
Striker’s 19th minute score gives the nine-time champions a 1-0 lead ahead of next week’s second leg.
Apr 23, 2014, 4:19 PM EDT
Find out who won the PL Player of the Week award, right here:
Apr 23, 2014, 3:36 PM EDT
Which players made the PL team of the week? Find out, right here:
Apr 23, 2014, 2:54 PM EDT
The top two remain unchanged, but there’s a major shakeup in elsewhere near the top of our weekly rankings.
Apr 23, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
Andrew Dykstra wants to brew you a beer, and several teams have specific offerings in mind.
Apr 23, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
The big guns will be firing for Bayern Munich and Real Madrid at the Bernabéu, and there’s plenty of ammunition on both benches if needed.
Apr 23, 2014, 1:28 PM EDT
Reports say David Moyes was “seething” at what he perceived to be an unprofessional dismissal from Manchester United.
Apr 23, 2014, 12:52 PM EDT
Bad news for England, as Januzaj is headed for a brand new Belgium kit.
- Manchester United have two transfer deals provisionally in place – Cavani, Shaw, Fabregas all on radar 0
- Chelsea approves Jose Mourinho’s desire to play ‘B Squad’ against Liverpool 1
- David Moyes tipped by Roberto Martinez to make swift return to management 1
- Three things we learned from Real Madrid’s win vs. Bayern Munich 3
- Benzema goal holds up as Real Madrid claim 1-0 lead over Bayern Munich 0
- Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Week 7 3