Dec 15, 2012, 9:32 AM EDT
For a bunch with no professional league to fill the gaps between international matches, the women’s national teamers certainly have managed to keep busy through 2012.
The schedule, which commenced in January with Olympic qualifying, finally comes to a close Saturday in Florida, match No. 31 for 2012.
Abby Wambach, Alex Morgan and their teammates host China at Florida Atlantic University Stadium in Boca Raton, Fla., capping their 10-game Fan Tribute Tour and the hustling, successful 2012 calendar year.
The match (7 p.m. ET kickoff) is on NBC Sports Network and Univision Deportes Network. Points to note on this one:
- The team is 26-1-3 this year. (And there was a small matter of an Olympic Gold Medal along the 2012 way.)
- Alex Morgan (28 goals) and Abby Wambach (25 goals) have combined for 53 goals this year, second most from any strike combo in the program’s history. Michelle Akers and Carin Jennings combined for 55 in 1991. Akers’ 39 goals that year established the individual record.
- The Americans will look for their fifth consecutive shutout tonight in Florida; last goal conceded by Christie Rampone’s back line: two to Germany in a 2-2 draw back in late October.
- Rampone, the team captain, will move past Mia Hamm tonight for second place among all-time U.S. appearance leaders. Assuming she plays, this will be Rampone’s 276th cap. Kristine Lilly is the all-time leader with 352, a mark that looks safe enough.
- Chances for the upset tonight? Not great. The United States has a 19-game unbeaten streak against visitors, a streak dating back to 2003.
Sep 15, 2014, 8:34 PM EDT
Newcastle United players and their manager have come under fire from ex-Liverpool back Jamie Carragher, who blasted the club on “Monday Night Football”
Sep 15, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT
The Sounders have three titles and won their first win Le Toux. Soccerly hosts an essay on his quest to deny them a fourth.
Sep 15, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
The English FA asked FIFA to extend Anelka’s quenelle suspension beyond Britain’s borders.
Sep 15, 2014, 5:54 PM EDT
Oktoberfest begins Sept. 20, and 1860 Munich is going all-in when it comes to their away attire.
Sep 15, 2014, 4:53 PM EDT
Abel Hernandez, Enner Valencia, Mohamed Diame and Diafra Sakho all made their presences felt on NBCSN at the KC Stadium on Monday.
Sep 15, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
Certainly one of the goals of the early season, as West Ham continues to tempt the highlight reels despite a tough start to the season.
Sep 15, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
Brek Shea had a loan debut to remember, while Julian Green had one to forget and both Tim Howard and Brad Guzan kept clean sheets.
Sep 15, 2014, 3:49 PM EDT
Abel Hernandez has a goal and had another creation ruled offsides as the hosts rose to steal the first half with late heroics.
Sep 15, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT
Schedules, chances of making the last 16, predictions. Your one-stop shop for all the info as the UCL group stages begins for four PL teams.
Sep 15, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Record-signing Abel Hernandez (Palermo) makes his Hull City debut as the Tigers look to pick up their second win of the season.
Sep 15, 2014, 2:19 PM EDT
Ferdinand: “It killed me. Inside I wanted to scream and grab him.”
Sep 15, 2014, 1:32 PM EDT
All four Spanish teams are looking odds on to make it out of the group stage. What about the big clubs from England and Germany?
Sep 15, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT
All the news and quotes ahead of the Monday afternoon matchup.
Sep 15, 2014, 11:50 AM EDT
PST’s lead writer and editor takes an alternative look at all the action from Week 4.
Sep 15, 2014, 10:34 AM EDT
Calderon claims that Ronaldo is frustrated with life at Real after several high-profile exits.
Sep 15, 2014, 9:59 AM EDT
Beckham: “What unites us is much greater than what divides us. Let’s stay together.”
Sep 15, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Potters to link up with youth teams across USA and Canada, grow brand overseas.
Sep 15, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Will Hummels arrive a balance out a top-heavy United squad?
Sep 15, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT
After Ronaldinho’s Liga MX debut, huge traffic jams in Queretaro reportedly cause politician to racially abuse the Brazilian.
Sep 15, 2014, 7:58 AM EDT
Will these two be reunited in Manchester?
- Hull City 2-2 West Ham United: Debut goals a-plenty in fun draw 0
- Americans Abroad wrap: Brek Shea assists in Birmingham debut (video) 0
- Champions League preview: How will the four Premier League teams get on? 0
- Watch live: Hull City vs. West Ham United (Lineups) 0
- Premier League Playback: Manchester United shine bright like a diamond 0
- Stoke City launch initiative to set up academies across North America 2