Dec 16, 2012, 8:10 AM EST
The name strikes me as a wee bit cumbersome and a little vanilla, but no matter.
The upstart National Women’s Soccer League will not rise or fall on a name; it’s all about the smart execution of a realistic business model as women’s professional soccer makes its third run of the last 15 years.
Last night, during halftime of the United States women’s team’s win over China, officials of the associated federations unveiled the new league’s name and logo.
Said NWSL executive director Cheryl Bailey: “We are working on finalizing a number of league items, but we now have a name and a logo that we think the fans will identify with and enjoy. This is a league we have to build from the bottom up and we have a group of dedicated owners and talented support staff at U.S. Soccer to keep this process moving in a positive direction while slowly growing the brand.”
- Aron Johannsson scores yet again! Can he match Jozy Altidore’s record for U.S. goal scorers abroad? 1
- Premier League Roundup: Liverpool, Man City, Man United and Newcastle keep winning 0
- Manchester United 3-1 West Ham: Rampant Red Devils ease to three points (video) 0
- Fulham 2-4 Manchester City: Visitors proving they can win on the road (video) 1
- Liverpool 3-1 Cardiff City: Yet another side undone by Luis Suárez (video) 0
- WATCH: Suarez scores two stunners for Liverpool to celebrate new deal (VIDEO) 0
- Report: Clint Dempsey will join Fulham on Jan. 1 for two-month loan (12)
- Is Google a player in the game of sports media rights? (12)
- Hamm, Wambach, Morgan lead U.S. Soccer’s all-time women’s best XI (but no Solo, Milbrett) (11)
- Spurs in hunt for new boss after sacking Andre Villas-Boas (10)
- U.S. soccer extends lengthy partnership with Nike, what kits do we want to see? (8)
- Bank of Brazil to Release Special World Cup Coins
- Nightmare for Socceroos in Real Group of Death
- Hodgson's Manaus Plan is Flawed
- Wilmer Cabrera on WC Draw: ''It's an Even Group''
- Germany Building Training Facility in Brazil
- Spain Thinking of US Camp Before World Cup
- Don't count out Chile in WC Group B
- Kicking it Off with a Final
- VIDEO: Visa World Cup Promo
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy