Dec 16, 2012, 7:25 AM EST
Hopefully, the result last night from Boca Raton, Fla., did not catch too many people off guard.
The United States women’s national team completed their Fan Tribute Tour and capped the highly successful 2012 calendar year with another win over China, this one by a 4-1 margin. The Americans finish with a 28-1-3 record while on a 23-game unbeaten streak.
Nor should anyone have been a bit surprised by the night’s main goal scorer, Abby Wambach, who hit for career strikes Nos. 151 and 152 over her international career.
If there was any surprise at all, it was that China managed to push one past goalkeeper Hope Solo and the United States defense.
U.S. captain Christie Rampone was capped for a 276th time, which moves the veteran defender into second place all-time among career appearance leaders; she is behind only Kristine Lilly, who earned 352 caps from 1987-2010.
The goal you will want to see is below; it’s Megan Rapinoe’s opportunistic shot from 40 yards.
- Men in Blazers podcast: Kyle Martino joins to talk Thanksgiving and tie knots 0
- Champions League Wednesday preview: Arsenal can advance, Liverpool need kick-start 1
- Jose Mourinho to Schalke after Chelsea’s 5-0 win: “It’s not your fault” 0
- Bob Bradley’s talks with a Swedish club have broken down; Staying at Stabaek? 0
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Chelsea win group, Man City’s late show, classy PSG 0
- Manchester City 3-2 Bayern Munich: Aguero’s hat trick hands Citizens lifeline 6