Dec 16, 2012, 7:25 AM EDT
Hopefully, the result last night from Boca Raton, Fla., did not catch too many people off guard.
The United States women’s national team completed their Fan Tribute Tour and capped the highly successful 2012 calendar year with another win over China, this one by a 4-1 margin. The Americans finish with a 28-1-3 record while on a 23-game unbeaten streak.
Nor should anyone have been a bit surprised by the night’s main goal scorer, Abby Wambach, who hit for career strikes Nos. 151 and 152 over her international career.
If there was any surprise at all, it was that China managed to push one past goalkeeper Hope Solo and the United States defense.
U.S. captain Christie Rampone was capped for a 276th time, which moves the veteran defender into second place all-time among career appearance leaders; she is behind only Kristine Lilly, who earned 352 caps from 1987-2010.
The goal you will want to see is below; it’s Megan Rapinoe’s opportunistic shot from 40 yards.
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public