Dec 16, 2012, 7:25 AM EDT
Hopefully, the result last night from Boca Raton, Fla., did not catch too many people off guard.
The United States women’s national team completed their Fan Tribute Tour and capped the highly successful 2012 calendar year with another win over China, this one by a 4-1 margin. The Americans finish with a 28-1-3 record while on a 23-game unbeaten streak.
Nor should anyone have been a bit surprised by the night’s main goal scorer, Abby Wambach, who hit for career strikes Nos. 151 and 152 over her international career.
If there was any surprise at all, it was that China managed to push one past goalkeeper Hope Solo and the United States defense.
U.S. captain Christie Rampone was capped for a 276th time, which moves the veteran defender into second place all-time among career appearance leaders; she is behind only Kristine Lilly, who earned 352 caps from 1987-2010.
The goal you will want to see is below; it’s Megan Rapinoe’s opportunistic shot from 40 yards.
- EXCLUSIVE: Luke Shaw speaks out about Manchester United move 0
- Pep Guardiola praises Jurgen Klinsmann’s team concept, USMNT movement 0
- Premier League teams on US Soil: Tuesday’s roundup and look ahead 2
- Racial incident against Man City’s Fofana ends U-21 match in Croatia 0
- Sorting through the most recent DaMarcus Beasley-to-MLS reports 3
- Report: Xavi’s move to New York City FC collapses, will remain at Barcelona 4