Dec 17, 2012, 7:30 AM EDT
El Emperador, Claudio Suárez, turns 44 today. The former Mexican national team captain and defender for Pumas, Chivas, Tigres and (eventually) Chivas USA accumulated 178 caps over a 15-year international career. The three-time Gold Cup winner represent Mexico at the 1994, 1998, and 2006 World Cups.
Big Important Stories of the Day:
If last week’s activity was any indicator, expect the MLS trade winds to keep blowing. As the league’s offseasons get shorter and shorter (with players set to start camps next month), there’s less time for teams to makeover their their rosters. More teams making more moves in less time.
For English Premier League fans, expect the London papers to be rife with reaction to Chelsea’s Sunday loss to Corinthians in Japan. Europe may not take the Club World Cup seriously, but when it comes to scrutinizing Rafa Benítez, don’t expect columnists to pass up such low hanging fruit.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day:
What you should watch on TV today:
Arsenal’s season could get a lot more interesting today around 5:00 p.m. Eastern, and not in a good way. At 3:00 p.m., the Gunners kick off at Reading, one of the worst teams in the Premier League. If Arsenal can’t take three points from the Royals, Arsène Wenger’s struggles could knock Benítez out of the headlines.
We’ll leave you with this:
Some thoughts on the potential of Mix Diskerud, currently skipping around the United States, switching to Major League Soccer:
- For a long time, people have been hoping MLS teams would make moves like this one. While it’s not official yet, it’s interesting that we’re approaching a time when teams may be willing to make the commitment to bring young, talented national team players back from their European sojourns.
- But … how much do you think it’s going to cost Portland to convince Diskerud to forgo playing in Europe?
May 22, 2013, 5:26 PM EDT
Michele Beadle and friends take a look at what NYCFC means to the New York sports scene.
May 22, 2013, 4:44 PM EDT
We tend to beat up the Chivas organization for its off-the-wall strategic approaches and front-office instability, but what exactly is wrong with the team on the field?
May 22, 2013, 4:03 PM EDT
Yesterday’s announcement included few surprises after of the U.S.’s June 2 match at BMO Field.
May 22, 2013, 3:18 PM EDT
Well, what took them so long to get into the party?
May 22, 2013, 2:40 PM EDT
Looks like a mixed bag for the American trio:
May 22, 2013, 2:05 PM EDT
As the towering English forward weighs up his options, should he return to Liverpool, sign for West Ham or go elsewhere?
May 22, 2013, 1:40 PM EDT
With Dortmund’s main attacker threat out injured, can Dortmund still lift the Champions League trophy?
May 22, 2013, 1:15 PM EDT
Can the Yankees provide a viable option for New York City FC to play in? Of course they can. Maybe.
May 22, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
They have owners and an employee, but now comes the hardest part for MLS expansion club NYCFC. The challenges ahead are daunting:
May 22, 2013, 12:21 PM EDT
The one accolade no EPL player wants on their soccer resume…
May 22, 2013, 11:05 AM EDT
New York City FC announces Reyna as first employee, a good first move, right?
May 22, 2013, 10:06 AM EDT
Yankee Stadium, Citi Field, Red Bull Arena… which venue could work best as a temporary home for New York City FC?
May 22, 2013, 8:54 AM EDT
The magic of the Cup lives on, as four PDL sides now face trips to MLS teams in the third-round. Is this the stuff dreams are made of?
May 22, 2013, 8:19 AM EDT
Pulis joins long list of EPL managers departing… is English soccer becoming more ruthless?
May 21, 2013, 8:02 PM EDT
Wait a minute … didn’t MLS commissioner Don Garber say there “is no Plan B …” beyond the Queens location?
May 21, 2013, 6:40 PM EDT
Well, phooey! Didn’t Dempsey just go through a summer of transfer instability?
May 21, 2013, 4:50 PM EDT
This and that as the U.S. contingent preps to gather in Cleveland ahead of five matches over the next few weeks:
May 21, 2013, 4:10 PM EDT
The updated ordering in ProSoccerTalk’s ranking of Major League Soccer teams following 12 rounds of play:
Officials from MLS, Yankees, Manchester City and NYC mayor Michael Bloomberg to speak tomorrow on expansion news
May 21, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
How very convenient that Manchester City just happens to be in the States for a brief two-game tour.
- Looking at the United States’ roster ahead of their Canada rematch 0
- A stadium for New York City FC – tougher than you think 6
- Claudio Reyna announced as New York City FC Director of Football 0
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC 8
- Another EPL manager goes, as Tony Pulis leaves Stoke City 4
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (15)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Portland ball kid correct to deny Mario de Luna (12)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree tears achilles, out six months
- PHT: Canucks reportedly fire Vigneault, assistants