Dec 17, 2012, 9:45 AM EDT
Clues are now falling on where those five United States final round World Cup qualifiers will be staged – and that bit of news revelation will be among the bigger stories of early 2013.
Sunil Gulati, speaking to Grant Wahl in an interview that ran Sunday on Fox Soccer Channel, talked up the likelihood that “most,” but not all, apparently, of the final stage qualifiers set for 2013 in the United States will be at MLS venues.
He began the conversation by mentioning Columbus Crew Stadium in Ohio and Livestrong Sporting Park outside Kansas City – two venues that seem like naturals.
Columbus has its history as a great spot for U.S. success, and Kansas City makes sense due to its geography (centrally located within the United States) and because it’s quite possibly the country’s best designed soccer venue.
I don’t think there will be any surprises. We’ve gone and been very successful into a number of places. We’ve done well in Columbus. Kansas City has got an extraordinary venue. We’ve played in Salt Lake and done well. Denver has been a good venue for us. We’ve played in Philadelphia. … Because of the develop of MLS venues, we are now in a situation where we can go into stadiums that are the perfect size for us, ensure that we have a home crowd, with a perfect playing surface and all the amenities that fans would want.”
“So I think you’ll see us play at a number of MLS venues. It won’t be exclusively that, but I think you’ll see us play at a number of MLS venues.”
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team
- Play Video: Red Bulls pull off win on the road
- Play Video: Highlights: Montreal extinguish Chicago