Dec 17, 2012, 9:45 AM EST
Clues are now falling on where those five United States final round World Cup qualifiers will be staged – and that bit of news revelation will be among the bigger stories of early 2013.
Sunil Gulati, speaking to Grant Wahl in an interview that ran Sunday on Fox Soccer Channel, talked up the likelihood that “most,” but not all, apparently, of the final stage qualifiers set for 2013 in the United States will be at MLS venues.
He began the conversation by mentioning Columbus Crew Stadium in Ohio and Livestrong Sporting Park outside Kansas City – two venues that seem like naturals.
Columbus has its history as a great spot for U.S. success, and Kansas City makes sense due to its geography (centrally located within the United States) and because it’s quite possibly the country’s best designed soccer venue.
I don’t think there will be any surprises. We’ve gone and been very successful into a number of places. We’ve done well in Columbus. Kansas City has got an extraordinary venue. We’ve played in Salt Lake and done well. Denver has been a good venue for us. We’ve played in Philadelphia. … Because of the develop of MLS venues, we are now in a situation where we can go into stadiums that are the perfect size for us, ensure that we have a home crowd, with a perfect playing surface and all the amenities that fans would want.”
“So I think you’ll see us play at a number of MLS venues. It won’t be exclusively that, but I think you’ll see us play at a number of MLS venues.”
Dec 9, 2013, 6:52 PM EST
FC Dallas had a busy day … but, uh, who is going to coach the team?
Dec 9, 2013, 6:32 PM EST
Martin Rogers of Yahoo! Sports talks about Arsenal, Manchester United and more:
Dec 9, 2013, 5:48 PM EST
One versus England potentially being arranged in Miami? And another against Canada ahead of next year’s World Cup?
Dec 9, 2013, 4:59 PM EST
Hull pick up a valuable road point as Swansea’s season of missed opportunities at home continues:
Dec 9, 2013, 3:59 PM EST
Major League Soccer has been steadfast on this one all along:
Dec 9, 2013, 2:48 PM EST
Can the Swans surge back into the top 10? Watch live on NBCSN:
Dec 9, 2013, 2:29 PM EST
We caught up with ‘beardless’ Howard after his impressive outing vs. Arsenal. Here’s what he had to say:
Dec 9, 2013, 1:27 PM EST
With a shortlist of over 50 names to choose from, what is your current best starting XI in world soccer?
Dec 9, 2013, 12:59 PM EST
With Michu in-line to return, could the Swans blow the Tigers away?
Dec 9, 2013, 12:06 PM EST
Moyes takes the blame but how much longer can he take the flack for his under-performing stars?
Dec 9, 2013, 11:20 AM EST
Do the Gunners have themselves to blame? Or were the Toffees just too good?
Dec 9, 2013, 9:48 AM EST
Shock horror, Ronaldo and Messi go head-to-head for Ballon d’Or….
Dec 9, 2013, 9:14 AM EST
Ex-Premier League striker among those questioned as investigation continues:
Dec 9, 2013, 7:49 AM EST
Who gets your vote? Sit back, relax and watch some stunners from Osvaldo, Assaidi, Cabaye and others:
Dec 8, 2013, 11:54 PM EST
The one commonality among both stars’ groups: Almost none of their opponents have good defensive records.
Dec 8, 2013, 10:48 PM EST
Unbeaten in three, Spurs have turned things around since their loss at Manchester City.
Dec 8, 2013, 9:44 PM EST
KANSAS CITY, Kan. — The difference between missed opportunities and bad luck.
Dec 8, 2013, 8:45 PM EST
Fulham decided it early against Aston Villa, while Giroud was denied late at The Emirates.
Dec 8, 2013, 7:40 PM EST
KANSAS CITY, Kan. — Collin, Feilhaber, Findley and Schuler may have changed the way we see their careers.
Pulis vs. Allardyce; Crystal Palace vs. West Ham: Earle, Mustoe talk diverging paths of Eagles, Hammers (video)
Dec 8, 2013, 6:38 PM EST
NBC Sports’ analysts consider what’s going right in the South, wrong in the East.
- Swansea 1-1 Hull: Danny Graham breaks his long scoring drought for the visitors 0
- Tim Howard on his stunning display vs. Arsenal, Everton’s good form, tough draw for USA 0
- David Moyes takes “complete responsibility” for Manchester United’s shocking start 2
- Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo and Franck Ribery to battle it out for Ballon d’Or 1
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (33)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014
- Looking at El Tri’s World Cup Opponents