Dec 17, 2012, 11:20 AM EST
U.S. captain Carlos Bocanegra was back on the field over the weekend for Racing Santander in a 1-0 loss to Sabadell in Spain’s second division. This was Bocanegra’s first time on the field in four weeks since suffering a leg injury back in November.
This gives Bocanegra plenty of time to get fit and sharp for the Feb. 6 World Cup qualifier, should U.S. manager Jurgen Klinsmann opt to call his veteran center back.
Brad Guzan earned high marks in goal for Aston Villa as Paul Lambert’s team manufactured one of the upsets of the English weekend, kicking Liverpool up at Anfield, 3-1.
And Jozy Altidore might be launching another one of his big streaks; the young American striker hit twice in Alkmaar’s road win at Zwolle.
You could also say the U.S. Soccer fan was a “winner” after reports out of Denmark talked up Aron Johannsson’s interest in siding with the United States.
The Icelandic under-21 international, a forward for AGF Aarhus who is enjoying a great season in the Danish SuperLiga, will have an important choice to make soon. Born in Alabama but raised in Iceland, he remains eligible to compete for either country.
Johannsson revealed over the weekend that but for an injury he would have accepted a recent invitation from Jurgen Klinsmann to participate in or observe the coming January U.S. camp.
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Watch Live: Sporting Kansas City at Seattle Sounders (Lineups and discussion) 2
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- Arsenal 4-1 Everton: Gunners book FA Cup semifinal spot 0
- Three Things: Chelsea 4-0 Spurs
- FIFA Fines Argentine Clubs for Fake Transfers
- Sunderland Boss Poyet Challenges Altidore to Prove Him Wrong
- 3 Hopes and One Fear for Montreal Impact
- Top Four Serie A Teams to Meet in Couple of Crucial Encounters
- Liverpool Eyeing Valencia Midfielder Dani Parejo
- Barca Have $83M for Transfers Plus Funds Raised from Sold Players
- What am I Watching?: The Paradox of the National Team
- Preview: Seattle Sounders vs Sporting Kansas City
- Liga MX Week 10 Round-Up: Toluca Keep Climbing