Dec 17, 2012, 11:20 AM EST
U.S. captain Carlos Bocanegra was back on the field over the weekend for Racing Santander in a 1-0 loss to Sabadell in Spain’s second division. This was Bocanegra’s first time on the field in four weeks since suffering a leg injury back in November.
This gives Bocanegra plenty of time to get fit and sharp for the Feb. 6 World Cup qualifier, should U.S. manager Jurgen Klinsmann opt to call his veteran center back.
Brad Guzan earned high marks in goal for Aston Villa as Paul Lambert’s team manufactured one of the upsets of the English weekend, kicking Liverpool up at Anfield, 3-1.
And Jozy Altidore might be launching another one of his big streaks; the young American striker hit twice in Alkmaar’s road win at Zwolle.
You could also say the U.S. Soccer fan was a “winner” after reports out of Denmark talked up Aron Johannsson’s interest in siding with the United States.
The Icelandic under-21 international, a forward for AGF Aarhus who is enjoying a great season in the Danish SuperLiga, will have an important choice to make soon. Born in Alabama but raised in Iceland, he remains eligible to compete for either country.
Johannsson revealed over the weekend that but for an injury he would have accepted a recent invitation from Jurgen Klinsmann to participate in or observe the coming January U.S. camp.
- WATCH: Premier League TV Schedule – Week 16 1
- Manchester United’s Robin van Persie faces lengthy spell out 0
- Behind the Brazuca: NBC’s extensive research hints less “knuckle-ball” in Brazil, NASA agrees 3
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 3
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 3
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 5
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (16)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Group B: No Walk In The Park