Dec 17, 2012, 10:29 AM EST
We heard last week that Mix Diskerud, the promising Norwegian-American midfielder, among the U.S. standouts in last year’s Olympic qualifying efforts, might be a Portland Timbers’ target.
Now comes the proof as a piece at MLSSoccer.com provides confirmation of the interest, which is apparently mutual.
Diskerud’s dad, who also serves as the midfielder’s agent, said Portland Timbers incoming manager Caleb Porter did, indeed, reach out to his son.
Here’s the interesting part: What as have here is iron-clad evidence that Portland, a small market in MLS, can nonetheless gain high ground in attracting top-level talent.
Diskerud’s father mentioned playing style and atmosphere around Jeld-Wen among the factors that make Portland Timbers FC an attractive destination.
Porter wants the Timbers to play a different style of soccer than what we saw under the team’s first two managers, Scotsman John Spencer and New Zealander Gavin Wilkinson. A more possession-oriented style would seem well-suited to Diskerud’s technical ability.
And Diskerud’s father specifically mentioned the Timbers Army, one of the supporters groups that has helped transform the MLS spectator experience in a growing number of markets.
None of this means that players will not consider clubs that play a more direct style, or clubs where attendance continues to be a challenge. It does help indicate, however, that clubs offering something more attractive in style, facility wow factor or fan frenzy will hold the better cards in the big game.
- Manchester United’s Robin van Persie faces lengthy spell out 0
- Behind the Brazuca: NBC’s extensive research hints less “knuckle-ball” in Brazil, NASA agrees 1
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 3
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 3
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 4
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 3
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (16)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Group B: No Walk In The Park