Dec 18, 2012, 9:17 AM EDT
There are extraordinary years … and then there is the year Leo Messi is having.
So it comes as little surprise that Barcelona FC, the run-away leaders in Spain’s La Liga, have looked at Messi’s contract and decided that 2016 just isn’t long enough.
They have extended his contract two more years, until 2018, ensuring that one of soccer’s all-time bests remains at the Catalan club until past his 31st birthday.
The forward of forwards just scored his 89th and 90th goals of calendar 2012, continuing to add to the record formerly held by Gerd Muller (who scored a record 85 goals 40 years back.) Messi is a favorite to claim FIFA’s Ballon d’Or honor for 2012, which would be his fourth in a row.
Barcelona also extended the deals of midfielder Xavi Hernandez (commonly known just as Xavi) and commanding center back Carles Puyol. Both are now tied to the club through June of 2016.
Xavi’s former deal ran through 2014. He will be 36 when the new deal expires.
Puyol might be the only surprise here, as he is already 34 years old. So he will be 38 when the new deal expires.
As for tying up the backbone of the team, Andres Iniesta remains as the most critical – although several other figures are surely right behind in order of importance. Iniesta, 28, has a deal that now runs through 2014.
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Heat force Game 7
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public