Dec 18, 2012, 5:28 PM EDT
We learn a lot as KICK TV’s Jimmy Conrad strolls the streets of Birmingham with Aston Villa and U.S. international goalkeeper Brad Guzan in this bit from You Tube’s soccer channel.
Guzan took over the starting spot at Villa Park this year for Shay Given, and positive results over the last two weeks have afforded the club just a smidge of breathing room in the standings, er, “table.”
Here’s what we learned from their little walk-and-talk through the midlands town:
- Birmingham has canals? Who knew?
- Guzan doesn’t sound too beat up about being behind Tim Howard in the U.S. goalkeeping order. If he can apply a little pressure on Howard and make U.S. manager Jurgen Klinsmann think about the selections just a little bit, he’s done his job. For now, at least.
- They are apparently not paying the man enough to purchase a proper coat! (Look at him. He’s clearly quite cold.)
- He does, however, arrive into Villa Park on game day in style. Check out that suit … and that car! … as they arrive into the ground in the video.
- Major League Soccer comes up more than you might think around the Villa ground and elsewhere in the European game. So says Guzan. “It’s funny, because all the guys over here, they all follow MLS,” he said. “You’d be surprised how much it’s spoken about at the training ground and amongst all the players in general.”
- Preview: USMNT to face Peru in tune-up for CONCACAF playoff vs. Mexico 0
- Three things we learned from USA U-23’s defeat vs. England U-21 0
- If you’ve ever criticized Jurgen Klinsmann or his USMNT, you don’t understand soccer 33
- How will USMNT line up in friendly vs. Peru? 8
- VIDEO: PST Extra analyzes how Deadline Day played out across the Premier League 0
- Arsenal’s striker fears grow: Danny Welbeck has surgery, out long-term 6