Dec 18, 2012, 7:05 PM EDT
Injuries are always a bummer, of course. But look at what a summer injury took away from Ryan Meara.
He was enjoying an excellent season at Red Bull Arena, probably headed toward a Rookie of the Year award.
From his first moments in Red Bulls goal, the Larry Bird doppelganger looked like anything but a rookie (and an unknown rookie at that).
Coming out of Fordham – hardly a known producer of soccer talent – no one could have seen the season Meara began building last March. Usually looking composed, Meara posted a 9-5-4 record in 18 starts and set a rookie record for consecutive scoreless minutes, 321 from April 28 to May 19 during a five-game winning streak.
His season ended in August, however, due to a hip injury.
The club rewarded their young goalkeeper with a new contract Tuesday; details were not released.
He could still have competition; the club needed some time to settle in with Luis Robles, but the former national team prospect performed well down the stretch for New York.
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- Quick Six: Chelsea’s second halves, Fulham helps Cardiff, and the rest of the headlines from this weekend’s Premier League action 0
- Americans Abroad Review: Boyd and Johannsson shine again 1
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 1
- Will Johnson: We Weren't all Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro
- Juventus Prove They Know how to Win Despite Weak Performance Against Fiore
- Liverpool is Ready to Spend $100 Million in Summer Transfers
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear