Dec 18, 2012, 7:30 AM EDT
Anyone who has ever seen German goalkeeper Harald Schumacher absolutely pummel poor Patrick Battiston in the 1982 World Cup knows who should have been the first goalkeeper ejected from a World Cup finals contest. For whatever reason, he wasn’t. Instead, that dubious distinction belongs to Gianluca Pagliuca, who was dismissed from the a World Cup 1994 match against Norway for handling a ball beyond his 18.
Pagliuca, who returned for Italy’s last three matches in that runner-up summer, turns 46 on Tuesday.
Speaking of turning 46: Les Ferdinand, whose best days came at Spurs in the late 1990s and thereabouts, also turns 46 on Tuesday. He had 17 full England caps.
Just for fun, though … let’s look back at Schumacher’s assult:
Big Important Stories of the Day:
Lionel Messi, Xavi and Carles Puyol have agreed new deals with Barcelona.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day: Richie Williams
*Ahead on the blog today:
Since U.S. final round World Cup qualifier venues seem to be topical, we’ll have more to say about that.
What you should watch on TV today:
Slim Pickins’. So watch this instead: It’s the Red Bulls video Christmas card. (Which you may have already seen; I posted it last night at ProSoccerTalk.)
We’ll leave you with this:
Noticed someone asking this randomly on Twitter this morning: Has Leo Messi offered the most return on investment for any player ever? Interesting question, eh?
- Can the United States deal with success vs. Honduras? 1
- Lineup prediction for U.S.-Honduras qualifier 2
- Big opportunity ahead as United States faces Honduras in World Cup qualifying action 1
- Huge cost of World Cups: Did we need a protest like Brazil’s to point out the obvious? 9
- Early returns from England’s offseason tell a tale of two Manchesters 0
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- LIVE: Spurs-Heat, Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public