Dec 18, 2012, 3:34 PM EDT
Do not accuse Sporting Kansas City of wandering through this off-season passively.
It would not be so hard for SKC to lean a little more toward fat-and-happy, either. The Eastern Conference regular season champs could find a justifiable position in replacing Wigan-bound Roger Espinoza, re-signing the MLS Defender of the Year Matt Besler and checking out for the off-season, satisfied that enough had been done.
But enough had clearly not been done in the eyes of Sporting Kansas City’s deciders, who keep pushing aggressively through the short MLS off-season. Latest evidence: today’s announcement of a new Designated Player signing, 28-year-old forward Claudio Bieler.
Bieler has been a reliable goal scorer in Ecuador (57 goals in 110 league games for LDU Quito) and adds a different type of attacking element along the front line at Livestrong. Whereas Teal Bunbury and C.J. Sapong are bigger, faster types, Bieler’s technical proficiency and clever movement will give defenders something else to deal with.
He may not be the recognized striker some fans around Livestrong seem to want, but the name brands don’t always work in MLS, as we all know. Beside we’ve seen South Americans with similar resumes shine in MLS.
None of this is ever guaranteed. It’s really down to thorough scouting and research, to a deeper knowledge of what makes the guy tick. Is he (and his family) committed to such a major cultural shift? Is he an adaptable sort, ready to meet the travel and physical challenges of a league that may be more physical and less technical than the one to which he is accustomed?
Get it right, and you may have struck oil, landing someone economically along the lines of a David Ferreira or Federico Higuain. Get it wrong, you’ve got Mista or Jeferson. If you don’t recognize those names, well, there’s a reason.
SKC manager Peter Vermes seems to have a handle on this one. “We think he’s got a lot of good qualities that can fit into our team,” Vermes said in a club statement. “Everything from his commitment to being a team player, to his work ethic out on the field, to a guy that lives and breathes for club that he plays for.”
Jun 19, 2013, 12:04 PM EDT
Cameras caught a message from Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea, could it foreshadow a move?
Jun 19, 2013, 11:22 AM EDT
Fabio Capello is the latest manager to say “no” to the defending Ligue 1 champions.
Jun 19, 2013, 10:23 AM EDT
Liverpool take a huge net loss on the 24-year-old while West Ham set their transfer fee record.
Jun 19, 2013, 9:48 AM EDT
Tragedy struck Chivas USA’s youth squad Monday night.
Jun 19, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT
At the call of fans and media alike, the FA Cup final at Wembley will return to its post-league date.
Jun 19, 2013, 8:35 AM EDT
The United States had the perfect lineup to slowly whittle away at the Honduras defense before it finally broke.
Jun 19, 2013, 7:45 AM EDT
The 24-year-old American has found a new team after spending 5 seasons at Villa Park.
Jun 19, 2013, 7:08 AM EDT
The Premier League has released its fixture list for the 2013/2014 season in its entirety. Find out the opening fixtures plus your favorite team’s derby here!
Jun 19, 2013, 2:00 AM EDT
Feel free to ask yourself at this point: where would the United States be in World Cup qualifying without its young, in-form striker:
Jun 18, 2013, 11:54 PM EDT
Jozy Altidore was the hero for the United States, cooly slotting a left-footed shot to hand the Stars & Stripes a 1-0 victory over Honduras.
Jun 18, 2013, 8:33 PM EDT
The LA Galaxy coach has taken aging players and made them useful parts of the roster before:
Jun 18, 2013, 7:14 PM EDT
Everyone loves “The Pope”
Jun 18, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Our weekly re-ordering of Major League Soccer teams, following 16 rounds of play:
Jun 18, 2013, 2:05 PM EDT
Some of the best U.S. success in the past has come when the United States was backed into a corner. Tonight looks much different:
- USA can theoretically clinch a World Cup berth in next round 0
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team 8
- 2013/2014 Premier League fixtures released 1
- United States player ratings vs. Honduras 2
- What we learned from the U.S. World Cup qualifier win over Honduras 6
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public