Dec 19, 2012, 11:45 AM EDT
A few years ago, Ricardo Clark made the move from Major League Soccer’s Houston Dynamo to Eintracht Frankfurt. A few months later, he in the German second division.
Around the same time, Benny Feilhaber was going through a demotion with Denmark’s Aarhus. Thanks to the competitive vagaries of European soccer, not all quests for top-flight action stay on course.
Today, another U.S. international’s announced a move that could turn sour.
After a UEFA Champions League campaign that saw him get a crack at Chelsea, Juventus, and Shakhtar Donestsk, former New England Revolution defender Michael Parkhurst is making the move to Germany’s first division. The 28-year-old has signed a two-and-a-half year deal with Augsburg of the Bundesliga.
“I’m looking forward to playing at FC Augsburg and in the Bundesliga,” said Parkhurst. “I’d like to do my bit so that we can achieve our aim of staying up in the second half of the season. I watched the game against Bayern Munich at the SGL arena and despite the defeat I was impressed with the fantastic atmosphere. That’s why I can hardly wait to get out there and play myself.”
Don’t underestimate the role of that “fantastic atmosphere.” It’s a quality that’s benefitting some teams at home, and the consistent presence of large, loud, television-friendly crowds was a major factor in the rise of England’s Premier League. It’s also one of the reasons many evaluate the Bundesliga as the world’s second-best league.
And no doubt about it: This is a great move for Parkhurst. The specter of the second division’s obviously worth noting, but this is his shot at playing in one of the best leagues in the world, even if that only lasts for six months. He not only has to jump at that chance, he should see it as a major career achievement.
“I worked my way into the Bundesliga.” Something nobody can ever take away.
More on Parkhurst’s fit at Augsburg:
“Michael Parkhurst is an experienced defender who played primarily at right-back for Nordsjaelland,” said sporting director Jürgen Rollmann. “It’s well known that we’ve had problems in that position. However, Parkhurst can also play on the left or in the centre of defence and we’re sure he’ll help our team.”
As of now, Augsburg sits 17th in the 18-team Bundesliga - relegation territory. They’re three points back of 16th-place Hoffenheim, but that spot’s not exactly safe. That only gets you into a relegation playoff against a 2. Bundesliga team. Augsburg are actually 10 points back of true safety.
So while this is a banner day for Parkhurst – a man who paid his dues in Denmark before getting this big break – in six months, it could turn sour. And for that matter, the professional lives of Hoffenheim’s Fabian Johnson and Danny Williams could take a turn for the worse come May.
Germany’s first division: Taking inventory of its U.S. internationals.
Jun 19, 2013, 11:05 PM EDT
MONTCLAIR, N.J. – Thursday’s United States women’s national team match falls smack in the middle of the inaugural National Women’s Soccer League season. It’s a friendly. It’s against the same team, Korea Republic, that the United States just handily defeated 4-1 on Saturday. But its relevance is critical, particularly to Abby Wambach – and for…
Jun 19, 2013, 10:21 PM EDT
Among the many assets in Jurgen Klinsmann’s portfolio, few are trending down.
Jun 19, 2013, 8:44 PM EDT
Confederations Cup completely worth it when it provides matches like these.
Jun 19, 2013, 7:35 PM EDT
There’re no shortage of players to praise after the U.S. completes a nine-out-of-nine run.
Jun 19, 2013, 6:47 PM EDT
Most U.S. players were still in the locker room an hour after final whistle Tuesday … watching a basketball game. Hmmm.
Jun 19, 2013, 5:58 PM EDT
Even while struggling, LA’s still the standard, but can they turn things around enough to keep Portland from the top of the West.
Jun 19, 2013, 5:25 PM EDT
Neymar’s show compounded problems for CONCACAF’s champions.
Jun 19, 2013, 4:52 PM EDT
The 42-year-old American revealed he is taking coaching courses to prepare for whenever his career is over.
Jun 19, 2013, 4:17 PM EDT
Some of those old issues of communication and understanding between Jones and Michael Bradley were on display once again in Utah:
Jun 19, 2013, 3:32 PM EDT
Montréal can open a gap atop the East with a win tonight. If Houston springs the upset, they’ll be within one point of the conference leaders.
Jun 19, 2013, 2:44 PM EDT
He didn’t exactly say much, but Pepe Reina’s club is Liverpool – at least, right now.
Jun 19, 2013, 12:04 PM EDT
Cameras caught a message from Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea, could it foreshadow a move?
Jun 19, 2013, 11:22 AM EDT
Fabio Capello is the latest manager to say “no” to the defending Ligue 1 champions.
Jun 19, 2013, 10:23 AM EDT
Liverpool take a huge net loss on the 24-year-old while West Ham set their transfer fee record.
Jun 19, 2013, 9:48 AM EDT
Tragedy struck Chivas USA’s youth squad Monday night.
Jun 19, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT
At the call of fans and media alike, the FA Cup final at Wembley will return to its post-league date.
Jun 19, 2013, 8:35 AM EDT
The United States had the perfect lineup to slowly whittle away at the Honduras defense before it finally broke.
Jun 19, 2013, 7:45 AM EDT
The 24-year-old American has found a new team after spending 5 seasons at Villa Park.
- Stock Falling: Which U.S. players’ statures are slipping … 2
- Get to your DVRs as soon as possible, because that Italy-Japan match was a classic 1
- Stock Rising: United States men whose values are rising out of Salt Lake 2
- MLS Preview: Portland Timbers at LA Galaxy 0
- Goal, assist from Neymar give Brazil win, prolong Mexico’s woes 2
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team (29)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Orlando City dumps Sporting Kansas City out of U.S. Open Cup, extend unbeaten streak to 14 matches (13)
- It’s time FIFA reconsiders the Confederations Cup bid to the Oceania region (13)
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public