Dec 19, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
Last week everybody was buzzing about 22-year-old U.S. Men’s National Team player Mikkel “Mix” Diskerud potentially landing in Major League Soccer. Then something happened on Twitter and the rumor stopped.
Wait, what? How did Twitter kill anything?
You can thank Merritt Paulson for that. Or, more specifically, his Twitter account: @merrittpaulson.
Last week as the Mix to Portland rumors were flying fast and furious, the social media-friendly Timbers owner followed Diskerud (@mixdiskerud). Whether Paulson was a big fan of Grand Canyon photography (Diskerud’s travelling through the western U.S.) or the follow was more professional, internet sleuths deduced PDX was in for Mix.
Then Paulson unfollowed Diskerud. Gasp shock awe. Either the owner was no longer a big geology buff or Diskerud’s deal to Portland had fallen through, something Paulson may have implied in a Monday tweet:
It should be noted: Paulson’s latest follow is Mobi Fehr, the young defender Portland picked up in yesterday’s weighted lottery.
Perhaps the Diskerud deal is dead, though given how active Portland’s been this offseason, Paulson’s tweet could refer to any of the hundreds of paths Gavin Wilkinson and Caleb Porter seem to be going down.
One source within the organization still hints the deal could happen. And given the hype that surrounded Paulson’s follow of Diskerud, maybe his unfollow was designed to throw some shade on a still developing situation. After all, the last substantial thing we heard about the deal, Mix Diskerud’s father was confirming discussions between the two sides.
So, is Mix coming to MLS? Or not?
- Jozy Altidore the hero as the U.S. beats Honduras 1-0 0
- Can the United States deal with success vs. Honduras? 1
- Lineup prediction for U.S.-Honduras qualifier 2
- Big opportunity ahead as United States faces Honduras in World Cup qualifying action 1
- Huge cost of World Cups: Did we need a protest like Brazil’s to point out the obvious? 9
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- LIVE: Spurs-Heat, Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public