Dec 19, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
Last week everybody was buzzing about 22-year-old U.S. Men’s National Team player Mikkel “Mix” Diskerud potentially landing in Major League Soccer. Then something happened on Twitter and the rumor stopped.
Wait, what? How did Twitter kill anything?
You can thank Merritt Paulson for that. Or, more specifically, his Twitter account: @merrittpaulson.
Last week as the Mix to Portland rumors were flying fast and furious, the social media-friendly Timbers owner followed Diskerud (@mixdiskerud). Whether Paulson was a big fan of Grand Canyon photography (Diskerud’s travelling through the western U.S.) or the follow was more professional, internet sleuths deduced PDX was in for Mix.
Then Paulson unfollowed Diskerud. Gasp shock awe. Either the owner was no longer a big geology buff or Diskerud’s deal to Portland had fallen through, something Paulson may have implied in a Monday tweet:
It should be noted: Paulson’s latest follow is Mobi Fehr, the young defender Portland picked up in yesterday’s weighted lottery.
Perhaps the Diskerud deal is dead, though given how active Portland’s been this offseason, Paulson’s tweet could refer to any of the hundreds of paths Gavin Wilkinson and Caleb Porter seem to be going down.
One source within the organization still hints the deal could happen. And given the hype that surrounded Paulson’s follow of Diskerud, maybe his unfollow was designed to throw some shade on a still developing situation. After all, the last substantial thing we heard about the deal, Mix Diskerud’s father was confirming discussions between the two sides.
So, is Mix coming to MLS? Or not?
- Premier League transfer window grades – Which team did the best business? 0
- Done Deal: Radamel Falcao completes move to Manchester United 3
- Done Deal: Better late than never, Arsenal seals deal with Welbeck 2
- Americans Abroad wrap: Guzan stays unbeaten, Lichaj & Bedoya thrive 1
- Done Deal: Listing all the Deadline Day deals from the Premier League 5
- Southampton sign Toby Alderweireld, add $18 million winger Sadio Mane 0