Dec 19, 2012, 12:30 PM EST
Last week everybody was buzzing about 22-year-old U.S. Men’s National Team player Mikkel “Mix” Diskerud potentially landing in Major League Soccer. Then something happened on Twitter and the rumor stopped.
Wait, what? How did Twitter kill anything?
You can thank Merritt Paulson for that. Or, more specifically, his Twitter account: @merrittpaulson.
Last week as the Mix to Portland rumors were flying fast and furious, the social media-friendly Timbers owner followed Diskerud (@mixdiskerud). Whether Paulson was a big fan of Grand Canyon photography (Diskerud’s travelling through the western U.S.) or the follow was more professional, internet sleuths deduced PDX was in for Mix.
Then Paulson unfollowed Diskerud. Gasp shock awe. Either the owner was no longer a big geology buff or Diskerud’s deal to Portland had fallen through, something Paulson may have implied in a Monday tweet:
It should be noted: Paulson’s latest follow is Mobi Fehr, the young defender Portland picked up in yesterday’s weighted lottery.
Perhaps the Diskerud deal is dead, though given how active Portland’s been this offseason, Paulson’s tweet could refer to any of the hundreds of paths Gavin Wilkinson and Caleb Porter seem to be going down.
One source within the organization still hints the deal could happen. And given the hype that surrounded Paulson’s follow of Diskerud, maybe his unfollow was designed to throw some shade on a still developing situation. After all, the last substantial thing we heard about the deal, Mix Diskerud’s father was confirming discussions between the two sides.
So, is Mix coming to MLS? Or not?
- Inside Look, MLS Cup Playoffs: How Revs, Galaxy built very different one-goal leads 0
- Recap: LA Galaxy grab 1-0 lead over Seattle Sounders in Western Conference Championship 1
- Despite artificial turf, New York Red Bulls’ Thierry Henry says he’ll play next week at New England 1
- Recap: New England Revolution snatch 2-1 lead, two away goals from New York Red Bulls 6
- Video: Brendan Rodgers says Liverpool needs to “become a team” 1
- Crystal Palace 3-1 Liverpool: Bolasie carves up Liverpool defense 3