Dec 19, 2012, 8:46 AM EDT
All of a sudden, Barça’s record start no longer seems as important.
According to reports out of Spain, Barcelona head coach Tito Vilanova has suffered a recurrence of the cancerous condition that forced the 44-year-old to undergo an operation 12 months ago.
While the club has yet to confirm the news, all of Barça’s regularly scheduled media activities have been cancelled. The club confirmed there would be a further announcement at some point on Wednesday.
Last year, Vilanova underwent an operation to remove a tumor from his parotid gland. At the time, he was an assistant to then-head coach Pep Guardiola.
This summer, Vilanova was appointed Guardiola’s successor and has since led the club to its best ever La Liga start (15-0-1). After their Sunday win over second place Atlético Madrid, Barça sits nine points clear at the top of Spain’s Primera Division.
Per ESPN FC, further reports have Barcelona already reaching out to potential replacements to step in for the remainder of the season. While you’d like to hold out hope the club’s announcement could cast early reports in a speculative, pessimistic light, this appears to be a very sad day at Barcelona.
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- Quick Six: Chelsea’s second halves, Fulham helps Cardiff, and the rest of the headlines from this weekend’s Premier League action 0
- Americans Abroad Review: Boyd and Johannsson shine again 1
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 1
- Will Johnson: We Weren't all Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro
- Juventus Prove They Know how to Win Despite Weak Performance Against Fiore
- Liverpool is Ready to Spend $100 Million in Summer Transfers
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear