Dec 19, 2012, 5:30 PM EDT
Some interesting thoughts from former Manchester United great Peter Schmeichel. It’s probably no coincidence that the man getting the answers is CNN International’s Pedro Pinto. He was the same reporter who not only obtained a sit down with Cristiano Ronaldo last month but also got the Real Madrid attacker to talk about his image problems.
Today, on the eve of the UEFA Champions League knockout stage draw, Pinto talks to Schmeichel about what it takes to have success in Europe’s premier club competition. For the 1999 Champions League winner, you always have to look at three clubs, though he does offer a surprise pick to win this year’s competition:
- On Schemeichel’s big three: Barcelona’s a given. With Manchester United struggling so much in last year’s competition, it’s weird to consider them as part of a big Champions League anything. But you look at their track record relative to other teams, and it makes sense. It wasn’t so long ago they won in Moscow, and they’ve been to two finals since. Real Madrid, on the other hand, has not had much recent success despite back-to-back semifinal appearances. They do have nine European Cups to their credit, but Milan and Liverpool are also highly decorated. Maybe there is no big anything. It’s just a bunch of teams with varying levels of success.
- On the formula to beating Barcelona: Chelsea usually gets credit for this, but it was actually Manchester United, one year before the Tom Henning Ovrebo controversy at Stamford Bridge, who supplied the blueprint so many teams have since used. United went to the Nou Camp and played aggravatingly tight and boring (earning their 0-0) only to get a long distance blast early in leg two from Paul Scholes. United went on to Russia and won the title.
- On this year’s potential champion: It’s difficult to make a case against Dortmund that doesn’t require a thesaurus worth of synonyms for inexperienced. Let’s just skip it and note should they or Real Madrid win, we’ll have another season where the Champions League winner isn’t an actual league champion. Let’s just hope each team finishes higher than sixth.
Jul 31, 2014, 12:23 AM EDT
Thierry Henry’s second half equalizer takes earns a point at Rio Tinto.
Jul 30, 2014, 10:43 PM EDT
The Revs’ eight-game losing streak ends thanks to another strong night from Lee Nguyen.
Jul 30, 2014, 9:20 PM EDT
The Red fall nine points back of second place United in the Eastern Conference.
Jul 30, 2014, 8:27 PM EDT
24-year-old defender loaned out for the seventh time.
Ugly scenes in Northern Ireland as Mexican U-19 player attempts to kick opponent’s head during Milk Cup brawl
Jul 30, 2014, 7:29 PM EDT
Game is eventually cut short after a yet unnamed player aimed at the head of a fallen opponent.
Jul 30, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT
Atlético’s interest could develop into Chicharito’s best option.
Jul 30, 2014, 5:58 PM EDT
Nick De Santis will stay with the Impact, albeit in an administrative role.
Jul 30, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT
Everton’s leading scorer returns to Goodison on a permanent basis.
Jul 30, 2014, 4:01 PM EDT
With immediate effect, U.S.’s women’s league will pause mid-half if when it’s too hot.
Jul 30, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT
Liverpool roll into town and people freak out! Watch this incredible reaction to Stevie G signing autographs.
Jul 30, 2014, 2:46 PM EDT
Reports from Texas state Jurgen Klinsmann’s side are playing Colombia in September.
Jul 30, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
Union grab Algerian goalkeeper Mbolhi, throw MacMath’s future in doubt.
Jul 30, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
One of the most influential men in world soccer passed away on Wednesday at the age of 82.
Jul 30, 2014, 1:07 PM EDT
After success at the 2014 World Cup, vanishing spray is coming to the PL.
Jul 30, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
Shaw: “I didn’t come into United thinking it’s going to be much harder and that’s something I made a mistake on.”
Jul 30, 2014, 12:03 PM EDT
Ronaldo flexing the abs as he is set to appear in the largest-ever Men’s Health front cover campaign.
Jul 30, 2014, 11:18 AM EDT
United make it three wins from three on their U.S. tour. Watch the highlights from Van Gaal’s men in action.
Jul 30, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
Will United splash the cash to sign Vidal in central midfield?
Jul 30, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
Lukaku set to sign for Everton from Chelsea.
Jul 30, 2014, 9:11 AM EDT
United to splash the cash? Lukaku on his way out of Chelsea? All the latest gossip, right here.
- Atlético Madrid latest club linked with Javier ‘Chicharito’ Hernández 3
- Romelu Lukaku completes permanent, $47 million move to Everton 7
- Report: US to play friendly vs. Colombia in San Antonio 1
- Transfer Rumor Roundup: Cuadrado to Manchester United, Lukaku to Everton 0
- Steven Gerrard endured “worst three months” of his life after Liverpool, England heartbreak 3
- Premier League on tour, Tuesday roundup: United beat Inter in penalties 1